Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Please help me out..... an empty-nester >

Please help me out..... an empty-nester

Please help me out..... an empty-nester

Old 01-16-2012, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by bakermom View Post
Think of it this way, if in 2-3 years you daughter does move out whether it's to college or her own place it is a sign of a job well done. You have raised someone that is independant and confident in her abilities to make it.
I agree with bakermom. There is so much satisfaction in seeing your children do well. Then you can decide what you want for YOU, there are probably things you always wanted to do but never had time. I went back to college when my last one left the nest. Made a whole new life for me.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:22 AM

I just turned 63 and am just now accepting that I am aging. I hear your struggle and it is very real...not unlike the other mile stones in our lives...turning 30 or 40? Becoming an adult? It struck me at 50 very hard when I my father passed and my mother came to live with us....then assisted living... My doctor was more concerned about my health than my mothers. If it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger....this is actually true in my case! I have more aches and pains now than my parents did at this age...but I believe it is do to life style changes...our lack of eating well and working in the garden or hanging clothes on the line....we do so much less and for me it hurts!

There are good things too...more freedom to do what you want....as soon as you figure that out. There are so many things to do for others and there are many more people worse off than us...no matter what we are going through...I just need to find them and reach out. My grandkids are big part of my daily life - not what it was like for me....I moved away from home...this is a big blessing.

Hang in there!
Old 01-16-2012, 11:15 AM

I have arrhythmias, I am 63, my husband is 70 and says he feels 100. We are planning a cross country move in the near future to be with our girls. We are looking forward to having them constantly in our lives. We have been empty nesters for 10 years and we loved it, but now feel that we can enjoy them on a different (not hovering) level. Hopefully this will work out. We will be living close but not so close as to have daily contact. Don't worry. try to get out more and get yourself in better shape. Enjoy your baby while you can. Maybe she won't move.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:36 PM

I have been an empty nester more than 10 years. I can say, I have found my quilting and other crafts have filled my home with plenty of things to do. I have also taken my craft and joined a quilt guild. I have also made quilts for charity, help someone worse off than myself and kept going. My nest is not empty. Only of children. I have a full schedule and plenty of things to do every day. So, get a hug, right hand left shoulder, left of right and hug tight. Whenever you need a boost, give yourself a hug from a quilter. We are all here to support you every day.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:10 PM

with todays economy tanking i suspect that your daughter will be staying put as long as she can...in the meantime, it is time to take care of yourself a little better...you deserve it...get some fresh air and exercise...take a walk. and that will also help ease your mind too.. we all get those aches and pains with age coming on...it is part of life.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:51 PM

I see by your age, you now have two (Ithink women) with all the hormones all over the place. I yhink you will soon be feeling better and your wonderful 15 year old will continue blossoming. Things change but LOVE never goes away, just gets different. My daughter is my best friend now, and of course, there are always the possibilities of being a grandma and you have another field to work with.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:29 PM

i would be thinking of the present time not the future because you have no control over that , when my kids moved away i thought life atarted all over for me !!! didnt have to clean up after other people, didnt have to do the extra laundry or dishes all of this and more left me with time to do what i wanted !! if i got lonely for them i can go to their house and make a mess and leave them to clean up after me like i did for them so many years ,i can call anyone of the grandkids , they love to come over , i can spoil them rotten and send them back to their house at any time oh knowing my kids are raised and on there own is a blessing for me i love it !!! by the way the last one that moved out thought i would be lonely and bought me a rotweiler puppy so i would not get lonely and this dog is so spoiled rotten sometimes it is like raising another child !!
Old 01-16-2012, 10:48 PM

I don't know what kind of a social life you have, but if you don't have one, now is the time to develop one. That doesn't necesarily mean going golfing, becoming a lady who lunches, etc. l have been enjoying going to our local fleamarket and visiting with the vendors. This past few weeks I have been hanging out with the "guys" at my garage, sitting in the office, chatting, watching tv, even just reading, talking with others who come in...while waiting for my car to be worked on. I joked that they were going to miss me, and they all agreed, ..asking me to please come back in often, for they enjoyed the good conversations. Same at the fleamarket. Maybe not the most exciting life, but interesting. Take an interest in people outside your normal circles. Visit nursing homes, hospitals, children organizations. Make blankets, rice packs, little goodies for them. "Adopt" more people. And I really recommend getting a pair of dachshunds. You will NEVER be lonely again, lol. They fill your heart and home.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:47 PM

Time for you to find something of your own. A hobby, a new job, volunteer somewhere. Forewarned is fair armed.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:52 PM

You may not end up being an empty nester, so don't stress over it yet. Plus, think positive . . . if you did a decent job of raising your child to be a responsible adult, that's a good thing. As a single parent of 3, I knew that I had to work myself out of a job so when my kids were ready to go into the world, they could, with confidence.

You will have a lot of freedom to do the things you want to do. Start planning on what you want to do with it. Get yourself ready. It's a whole new world out there and it can be yours.