postage?

Old 04-09-2013, 05:29 PM
QKO

The bad news: This last round of postage increases, prices for the padded flat rate envelopes went up quite a bit.
The good news: The old, flimsy paper padded FR envelopes have been replaced by strong plastic ones.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:19 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Well that would be good protection against rain, too! I have not seen the plastic padded envelopes yet.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:55 AM

I don't know about the padded, but the regular flat rate envelopes are $5.60.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:24 AM

if prices to ship go up any more. what is going to happen when you need to send a package. either use fedex or the like..sometimes shipping is more than what product you buying
Old 04-10-2013, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by PurplePassion View Post
I didn't mail my package from the post office . I took it to a convenience store that does mailing. I did stop down there this morning and the same gal was working there and remembered me. She said she couldn't give me a refund; but the representative for their postal station would be coming in soon and she would talk to her about it. She made a copy of my receipt and took my phone number. She had put my package on the scale and weighed it and charged me by the weight. I did get a call back from her this afternoon , saying that she had made a mistake and they have my over charge there for me to pick up. So thank you so much for your help. Sometimes I forget that I need to keep an eye on everything.
glad you got your over charge back you are not alone about keeping an eye on everything especially at the cash register so often I get home and find I was over charge for things that shoulda been on sale
Old 04-10-2013, 06:25 AM

Flat rate envelope or small box = $5.80
Med flat rate box = $12.35
Large Flat rate box = 16.85
These prices if paid on line, a little more a the PO.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

Ok! You took it to a convenience store. They charge extra for processing. I go straight to the post office or the website. I also have a postage scale. Pay with debit or credit, print the label out. If your kitchen scale is a little off find something that weighs a definite weight you can square up with or just print in a couple ounces more, pay, print and send. The "mail stores (convenience)" always charge a handling fee. I never go there. I recycle my boxes. You can turn them inside out and tape the inside and outside with clear shipping tape. I also write the to and from addresses on the outside and "tape over" them. Always use industrial permanent marker. Inside I have an envelope with the address it is suppose to go to, incase something happens to the box. I do pay extra for confirmation. I usually send "Priority mail" not that much more expensive and 2 days max. Just got my wacky web template from Missouri Star Quilt. they sent it priority. because of the holiday weekend it took a day longer. But still sent on Friday, rec'd on Tuesday.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:57 AM

I told the lady at my local post office that the flat rate envelopes are a sham, it says something like $5.95 above the big plastic envelopes but you have to look closely at the small print where it says "starts at". They add weight and destination to the flat envelopes! I had mailed 2 hand made hats to my grandsons in Oregon in a very small box and it cost me almost $12. When I inquired about the envelope that I could have used she said it probably would have been the same as the small box I used. Personally I think they should not have them by the flat rate boxes.

By the way, we have Meijers in Michigan and they have postage available at the service desk. I took my fat quarters swap envelopes to Meijers for mailing because I needed to pick up some groceries. The woman at Meijers was quicker than the post office and after she attached the postage she gave me the receipt and told me the tracking numbers for both parcels were on the receipt. I must have looked puzzled because I had not asked for tracking because she immediately told me it is no extra charge and that tracking was included with all parcels after the last postage increase. Gee, the lady at the post office never told me that, but she always ask if I want to buy additional insurance. Meijers is my choice for mailing from now on.

Last edited by Retired Fire Chief; 04-10-2013 at 08:01 AM.