Pressure Cooker

Old 08-21-2011, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by tutt
My great grandmother's WWII red roast recipe is made in a pressure cooker. Any cut of roast will work, usually the cheapest is best and will come out very tender! Put the roast in the cooker and cook until just about done, then cut up one big onion on top, pour a thick coating of chili powder on top of the roast and onion! Dump a lot of chili powder to the point where you think it's ruined. Then pour about half a bottle or more of ketchup on top of everything! Put the top back on the pot and cook an additional half hour or so. The chili powder and ketchup make a red gravy that is to die for on top of mashed potatoes. If you want you can thicken the gravy with flour or cornstarch, but we like it as is. The roast will be so tender it will fall apart, due to the chili powder and vinegar in the ketchup. Any left overs are perfect soup stock for vegetable soup. I know it sounds weird but everyone who has ever tried it loves it!!
Thank you for the recipe. Can you give me an idea of how much chili powder, LOL, I'm one of those people that has to have a number. Would you say 3, 4, 5 or 6 Tbsp?

By the way, Tutt, where do you live in Arkansas? I lived just north of DeQueen until my family moved when I was 10. Sister lives in Greenwood, and still have family in Grannis. I love Arkansas, so pretty with the pine trees.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:51 AM

I don't have a pressure cooker but my cousin Ann swears by the Presto ones, she said it's the only good one.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:01 AM

i have a cusinart electric presure cooker and I love it, I do short ribs and stews frozen chicken in less than an hour, pork butt roasts what don't I do in it I also have one for the stove top, I use mine at least 3-4 times a week.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:40 AM

I live in Bryant, but am from Arkadelphia originally, not too far from DeQueen. The chili powder is more like a 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup, depends on the size of the roast!! Really, coat it. I don't have any exact measurements, nothing was ever written down. I just dump, and you do think you're ruining it, but you won't :)
Old 08-21-2011, 09:42 AM

If you don't have one, check the prices on HSN for the stainless ones. Got a great set, 4qt. & 8qt., there.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by tutt
I live in Bryant, but am from Arkadelphia originally, not too far from DeQueen. The chili powder is more like a 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup, depends on the size of the roast!! Really, coat it. I don't have any exact measurements, nothing was ever written down. I just dump, and you do think you're ruining it, but you won't :)
Thank You, I'm going to make your Great-grandmothers recipe. Will go with the lesser amount of 1/2 cup to start with.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:47 AM

Cabbage rolls!! Baking them is such a waste of time, plus they can dry out. Done in a pressure cooker, they are always tender and moist.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:07 AM

I use my MIRRO 4qt Pressure Cooker at least once a week. This makes for a nice meal that is quick when I get home from work.

The two that I use the most are a Chuck Roast with 1 cup Chicken Broth, one cubed onion, salt & pepper, which takes about 1 hour. If you want to add cut up potatoes and carrots, stop at about 45 min and cool, then add vegetables and cook about another 15 min.

And one whole chicken, 1 cup water, one cubed onion, salt & pepper, and 3 bay leaves, which takes about 20-30 min.

While that is cooking, I can get the rest of the meal prepared.