Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Aluminum foil reuse (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/aluminum-foil-reuse-t210549.html)

dcamarote 01-10-2013 07:44 AM

I can't believe I am replying to this. Too funny because Christmas day my DIL's mom wanted me to save the used tin foil; we were at my house. I told her ok but threw it out after she left. It is toooooo yucky afterwards. Also, I don't use it that often.

bakermom 01-10-2013 07:57 AM

I will reuse if it is clean, I'll also reuse a zipper bag if clean. Never if it has held meat or anything that might cross-contaminate. It's not that expensive(and I had always been on a tight budget). We usually buy the large rolls at Sam's and they last forever, it seems. Even when everyone was at home and I used a lot more. I won't reuse sandwich bags for lunches. Just not worth the risk of getting sick.

would like to add, when i say reuse, i mean right now.As in "i'll put the dinner rolls back in the bag they came out of before dinner" or re-wrap the casserole dish before putting in the frig.

I don't have stacks of "saved" foil or bags stored for later use.

nygal 01-10-2013 08:22 AM

I don't reuse foil either. My mother in law use to wash out plastic bags and hang them to dry on the clothes line and reuse them. I never did that either.

primbears 01-10-2013 09:54 AM

I read on somewhere to run your rotory cutter across a wad to sharpen your cutter. Have done this and it works. Need to remember it for scissors as well.

Corky 01-10-2013 10:11 AM

I reuse aluminum foil (AF) if its big enough, clean enough and not too crumpled. I actually do not use AF that much anymore. But I have discovered that if you wrap your celery and lettuce in AF it last longer. I have fresh celery from Thanksgiving in my fridge!! I am amazed. We use our lettuce too quickly for me to see if it works as well.

LindaJR 01-10-2013 10:15 AM

I will reuse it or put in recycle bin. I understand not all recycle places take it, but our county does.

Peckish 01-10-2013 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Corky (Post 5776371)
But I have discovered that if you wrap your celery and lettuce in AF it last longer. I have fresh celery from Thanksgiving in my fridge!!

YES!!! Celery in foil stays fresh and crisp! I'll have to try lettuce and spinach next. Maybe what I'll do is line those plastic boxes the spinach comes in with foil and see if that works. I love raw spinach.

QultingaddictUK 01-10-2013 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by primbears (Post 5776309)
I read on somewhere to run your rotory cutter across a wad to sharpen your cutter. Have done this and it works. Need to remember it for scissors as well.

It is what I use mine for, in cooking I use it very rarely but do use it for my cutters n scissors, so I buy these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealapack-...6053%26ps%3D54 it may sound expensive, although I get mine a lot cheaper from a local discount store, but saves so much waste by wrong cutting, it is also a heavier gauge than most foil.

carolynjo 01-10-2013 02:57 PM

I will reuse plastic freezer bags or storage bags after washing carefully and drying. I will save clean foil to reuse. I, too, remember when we saved the string from the chicken feed sacks and reused for stuff. I am, unfortunately, still pretty stingy with what I throw away. Old habits die hard. Out trash can is always the one with the lid that fits on garbage day while everyone else's on the street is bulging.

nivosum 01-10-2013 03:02 PM

I have never used reused foil with food product where it will directly touch it. I reuse it fairly quickly so that is not a lot of it laying around in a drawer. I don't wrap meat in it to freeze. I learned to freeze chicken and other meats on a cookie sheet. I cover the bottom of the sheet with wax paper and then cover the top of the meat with wax paper. After it has frozen, I put the meat (without the wax paper) into a plastic bag. Then I put that plastic bag into another plastic bag. If I need to label what is in the bag, I write it on a piece of paper to be put between the two bags. Never gotten sick either. I am going to try the foil with the celery and spinach.