Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Aluminum foil reuse (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/aluminum-foil-reuse-t210549.html)

QuiltnLady1 01-10-2013 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5774368)
I have reused a piece that was just used to wrap buns for heating in the oven. I do not use it again if it was used on anything raw in case of bacteria contamination. Foil is cheap and hospital visits are expensive.

This is me too -- if I can get to it before DH tosses it. I also wash plastic zip bags if they held bread.

Pickle 01-10-2013 03:37 PM

I re use my foil I save it and store it someplce near the outside grill. It cleans the grates so nice and it really cleans them good, so now I don't feel guilty about not getting its use,

redquilter 01-10-2013 04:11 PM

I'll reuse if it's clean. Have also reused large zip lock bags - only if they just had some veggies or rolls in them. Certainly not if they were used to marinate some meat!

Tothill 01-10-2013 04:32 PM

'When I was growing up, my dad insisted we use only 4 sheets of toilet paper per bathroom visit. I absolutely ignored this, especially after I started menstruating.'

Peckish we must share a father. I have no idea how a man and decide how much toilet paper another person needs to do the job. I flat out refused to follow his edict.

Mum used to reuse foil. She does not any more, I think she stopped when she got rid of dad.

Reusing or using reusable grocery bags is a big deal here. I was at the grocery store one day and the woman ahead of me in line had brought in used plastic grocery bags to pack her groceries. One has obviously had meat that leaked in it, the stench was putrid.

I only reused plastic bags for poop patrol and cleaning the litter box.

I generally have cloth reusable bags to use when shopping and wash them regularly.

Food safety is worth more to me than saving a few pennies.

quiltapillow 01-10-2013 05:27 PM

When used we would wash and roll into a ball and then take to the metal recycler and put the money away for something else. ie: junk dealer in those days.

alabam49 01-10-2013 09:18 PM

If people realized how dangerous/unhealthy plastic products are to their health they would never use it and revert back to using glass for food storage!!!

QultingaddictUK 01-10-2013 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by alabam49 (Post 5777716)
If people realized how dangerous/unhealthy plastic products are to their health they would never use it and revert back to using glass for food storage!!!

That is what I mostly use, couldn't agree with you more about the hygiene factor, When I make soup I even portion if out into my glass soup bowls and freeze them, they are ones that have plastic lids but they are dishwasher proof perfect IMO.

Sew Freak 01-11-2013 05:22 AM

I reuse whenever I can!

BellaBoo 01-11-2013 06:02 AM

It takes water and power to heat the water to wash and save stuff. I'd rather save water then have a smaller trash bag.

Donna P 01-11-2013 06:06 AM

I reuse whatever I can...money doesn't grow on trees you have to save where you can if it can be reused again then that's what we do. My kids don't understand things like that cause kids nowadays are so wasteful....growing up in the 30/40's you couldn't afford tin foil anyway....it's a treat now. I wash off freezer bags also. Waste not....want not.