Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Crochet? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/crochet-t171639.html)

Scakes 12-12-2011 07:34 AM

My 11 year old granddaughter is learning to crochet and she is going to teach me! My mom was a fantastic crocheter but I never learned how when I could have, should have - if you know what I mean. I'll be watching this thread closely for ideas, tips, etc.

Diannia 12-12-2011 08:28 AM

Crocheting doesn't take much supplies to start learning. A hook, a skein of yarn, scissors and youtube.com. I learned from a friend over 40 years ago while in the 5th grade. I'm fast and can make just about anything with my left hand. My granddaughter is 6 and wanted to learn. I'm left handed and she's right handed sooo I got on youtube and she and I learned together. I can now do a simple chain crochet with my right hand and so can she! She's very excited and practicing making her stitches even. After Christmas we'll learn how to do single crochet.

Diannia

sue z q 12-12-2011 08:47 AM

I recently got interested in crochet because I wanted to make my baby granddaughter a cap. Not pleased with my first two attempts, but I'll try again. Found many free patterns and tutorials on the 'net. I already knew just a little, but I've got a long way to go understanding how to count the stitches.

owlvamp 12-12-2011 10:48 AM

crochet is awesome! I love to crochet.Been crocheting on and off for 26 years. I recently crocheted over 12 afghans and gave them all way. I collect blocks for charity. I give to cancer, diabetes. ms, and whom is sick and needs a lift and let them know we love and care for them. My afghans arrange from king to lap quilts. I crocheted a frog for my sister for christmas. I am recently working ona snake scarf and then to a few bus scarves for the teachers. I make washclothes. I used to collect crochet patterns and give to my sister because I couldn't read patterns. This year about 6-8 months ago I said enough was enough and taught myself to read patterns. youtube is wonderful. When I didn't understand a stitch i hunted it on youtube. Now I read patterns and love it. There is a crochet site www.crochetville.com .. I love the site. I hope you enjoy crocheting as much as I do.I have yet to make myself a afghan. I always give them away.After the scarves I am going to work on a ducky one for grandson.

quiltingcandy 12-12-2011 11:00 AM

One of my dearest friends taught me to crochet 37 years ago. After making everyone in the family afghans and a few for us, I stopped. Didn't want people to hide when they saw me coming carrying something. So I got into quilting. But then a lady at work started me with making snow flakes and angels. They were so much fun. But again I was making them by the dozens. So went back to quilting and the past few years the month before Christmas my youngest daughter has me crochet scarfs. She wears them year round, but so many of her friends ask for them and they only take a few hours to whip up. (She buys the yarn & I do the rest.) So it keeps me busy in the evening when I watch tv with my husband.

Honeynga 12-12-2011 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by cminor (Post 4770019)
I am considering taking up another hobby. Why you may ask? Corcheting can be done quietly without a machine - thus giving me an option when I want to also watch Tivo :)

Knowing so many have multiple hobbies I thought I would start here. I am hoping to land the jackpot website. Maybe a crochet version of this board. If only I were so lucky!!!

I also crochet and knit ! I taught myself years back and love it. There is an awesome website, Knitting Paradise that is great....lots of encouragement, help and inspiration. good luck with your new hobby. I like to take a break from quilting (as if I do a lot ????) and sometimes just sit and knit quietly and it is something that I don't fret over either. MY problem with quilting is that I'm so new at it and not confident at all plus it is expensive for me.

Any suggestions as to where/how to start. Keep in mind - I don't even have yarn. Its like wanting to quit and not having thread :)

Go for it ! Knitting and crocheting both are calming to me.......I sometimes enjoy just sitting quietly and knit.....I don't have to be at a machine and wonder if the noise is irritating my neighbors (but sometimes I think I would LIKE for it to irritate them!). The site that I've found is Knitting Paradise and it totally supports knitters and crocheters. I'm very new at quilting and not confident whatsoever plus it is a bit expensive for me.

I find knitting more calming. (is that a word?) mostly because I don't have to think too much....since I've been doing it for a while...I know that one day I'll have the same frame of mind in regard to my quilting. Some days quilting is more stressful than what I want to deal with. I've recently started hand quilting a top and find that is soothing whereas machine quilting freaks me out, hurts my neck, hurts my back and my frustation level is higher !

take a break and go for it !

bluteddi 12-12-2011 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie (Post 4771953)
2 years ago I did 9 afghans for the family! (Done other things before) and swore that I'd never do another crochet article....yeah, right. My daughter and family who lie next door tells me she (they) like to put an afghan under their quilt because its so much warmer. Uh-huh, their bed is a California King log bed!!! Decided I would make 2 so they can drag them to the couch if desired and each can have their own colors! ( I did 4 rows last night.) *sigh*

LOL.. my FIRST afghan was a ripple california king bed spread!!!! wow... that took me forever.... but it turned out nice... that was over 30 years ago.... Dtr is now enjoying it on her bed..... u think crocheting it was a booger.. u aint tackled nuttin until u try to BLOCK on that size!!! ( I used the garage floor)

MadQuilter 12-12-2011 12:25 PM

I know how to crochet but I can't maintain the tension. My squares are more trapezoidal or I should just call it all wonky.

JanieH 12-12-2011 03:33 PM

I love crocheting also. It is so easy to take with me on trips. While I have crocheted large items (scarves, afghans, etc.), my favorite things to crochet are doilies. My family and friends love them and the thread for them is inexpensive.

Good luck and have fun with it!

Cookie68 12-12-2011 06:00 PM

I learned to crochet when I was 9 years old...over 50 years ago. I can't tell you how much joy and relaxation is has brought me. I have donated dozens of lap robes to the VA and nursing homes, made baby afghans for gifts and thoroughly love to crochet. Go for it! So enjoyable while watching television.