Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Crochet? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/crochet-t171639.html)

Pinklady 12-12-2011 06:01 PM

I also crochet, I have been doing it about 40 years, There are so many things you can make that are simple. My grandmother taught me the stitches, but also told me to get a book to learn how to read patterns and do other stitches.
She could make about anything, but never knew how to read a pattern. She just looked at a project or even a picture and could make it. I still have many things she made. She died 35 years ago and I love her things. She also quilted, but I never was interested while she was alive to teach me that.

Jackie Spencer 12-12-2011 08:56 PM

I too am self taught. I love to crochet.I have made afgans, doileys, sweaters and baby dresses.

sharyl 12-13-2011 10:21 AM

There are lots of on-line sights to teach you how to crochet. Also allfreechrochet.com has lots of free patterns.

annthreecats 12-13-2011 10:30 AM

cminor, I hope you enjoy learning to crochet. It's a great way to make stuff while you watch T.V. and Ravelry.com is a wonderful website for getting patterns and help.

Floralfab 12-13-2011 01:39 PM

I have been crocheting for MANY years. I love it and find it so relaxing. I don't do much of it in the summer because the weight of the afghans is just too hot. I crochet a lot for Linus and there are some bright beautiful yarns out there. Start with something easy and check to see if there are other crocheters in your town who would be happy to help you. Good luck and have fun.

jaciqltznok 12-14-2011 03:13 AM

I just started some crochet work again. Making some wash cloths and neck cowls that will be gifts NEXT year. yes, I started NOW on purpose. Yarn is cheaper in the winter than in the summer when I generally start gift making.
Joann.com has GREAT yarn selections and sales.
Go to freecycle.org and join your local area and ask for needles, pattern, and even yarn..you will be surprised how much is available out there! Have fun!

babyquiltlady 12-14-2011 04:23 AM

I taught myself to knit and crochet when I was a kid. That was about 40+ years ago. Since I used a book, I can still read any set of directions, which if you crochet is a blessing. In between quilting, I do make an occasional baby blanketing with my crochet hook or knit a sweater, but these are for gifts. Since moving to FL, I don't need either in my closet!!!

carolaug 12-14-2011 04:35 AM

I have been watching utubes on crochet (free videos) and just starting to get the hang of it. I bought a ball of yarn for a 1.00 and just kept practicing. I ripped it out when done and did it again...it may take a while before I am good enough to make a blanket but the more i do it the easier it is becoming.

oldbalt99 12-15-2011 12:53 AM

Red Heart.com is really good for all levels of crocheters.

pjaco 12-15-2011 07:19 AM

I crochet too, although I haven't in years. I've come across some great tutes on You tube and since there's no $ this year...was thinking I could make a hat or two. Maybe a poncho, sweaters are everywhere this winter! Also my grandson is into Angry Birds and they even have crochet patterns for them ! Even a hat ! Who knows what I may make !!