Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Delivery guy and broke zipper. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/delivery-guy-broke-zipper-t303888.html)

jmoore 03-29-2019 03:19 AM

Delightful read this morning and what a good deed. I’m sure he will be sharing the story of your sewing talent with his friends and family.

lindaschipper 03-29-2019 03:37 AM

Like the majority of us, I've never heard of this zipper trick. I'll have to try to remember it for future reference.

luci4 03-29-2019 04:31 AM

I hate doing zippers, but when I have to, this is how I do it.

maryb119 03-29-2019 04:54 AM

Great job! He will appreciate your talent. Thanks for sharing the tip. My SIL is a welder and asks me often to replace a zipper. I will remember that trick.

bneuen 03-29-2019 04:59 AM

I love your story. It’s so nice to hear of someone doing an act of kindness when we hear so many negative stories. Yesterday, I had a nice thing happen to me (not sewing related). My car wash ticket had expired and I thought I would stop in and see if they would reissue it for me. They reissued with no problem. I left the car wash with a clean vehicle and feeling like there are still nice people and places to do business. It’s the little things that make a difference.

Doggramma 03-29-2019 06:02 AM

That’s so nice of you! Once someone I worked with asked me to do that, and I said yes reluctantly. They brought me a dirty well-worn jacket. I put in the zipper and was glad it wasn’t too difficult. What I don’t like about non-quilting sewing or ironing is everything is set up for quilting. So I don’t like redoing the needles or thread or taking the Big Board off the ironing board. Otherwise I wouldn’t mind so much.

Kitsie 03-29-2019 06:45 AM

Huh! never knew about that way of replacing one! My favorite jacket has the same issue! Unfortunately I live in the Pacific NW so I'll have to try it myself!
Thank you!

indymta 03-29-2019 07:11 AM

What a very nice thing to do for someone! It is nice to read about people doing something nice for another without expecting anything in return. You made me smile. As an aside, what a great idea about the zipper. I never would have thought to do that. I will keep that tip.

Bobbielinks 03-29-2019 07:37 AM

I'm 70 and still learning something new everyday!! I had never thought about just cutting the teeth off a broken zipper and sewing a new zipper in its place. Thank you a million times over!!! Now off the find that box of zippers that I thought I would never ever use. Oh, I also think that young man will think of you many times with a smile on his face.

klswift 03-29-2019 08:47 AM

After having raised 6 brothers and then my own kids, I learned the trick about just cutting off the teeth and attaching a new zipper. I can not count the number of sweatshirts and jackets that I used a seam ripper on and then fought with the folds to insert the new one.