Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do any former and present 4-H members belong to this forum? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-any-former-present-4-h-members-belong-forum-t122759.html)

patricej 05-13-2011 02:46 PM

Head, Heart, Hands and Health!

A great place to make friends!

I was a 4-Her until I graduated high school. Mostly sewing.

I had a blast! :-)

Pam B 05-13-2011 05:02 PM

My brothers and I were 4hers. Unfortunately, I only completed 8 years (due to working and HS band demands)...I regret it now that I did not do the 10 years. My brothers did cattle and hogs. I showed horses and did foods and sewing. Our own 3 children have all completed their 10 years doing projects such as sheep, cattle, hogs, foods, sewing, crafts, cake dec., etc. I have been active as a 4H leader (asst) and have been on the 4H governing association. I am Foods chairperson now...in charge of the judging and fair display set-up. Our county 4H program is one of the tops in our state. Really do miss it...and I am always glad to help out younger 4Hers. DH is currently Treasurer for the association. We hope that someday our grandchildren will live in the area and want to be involved in 4H. We have a lovely barn on our farm just sitting empty in need of 4H animals to fill it!

julia58 05-13-2011 05:28 PM

My family was also big in 4-H. My oldest sister did dog obedience, our poodle won 1st in the county fair. So that meant a trip to the state fair. The night before we were leaving for Indy., we let Fred (poodle) out to do his business. Well Fred caught up with a skunk. We each took turns giving him tomato baths. Everyone was up all night, including poor Fred. We went to the fair anyway, and you are not going to believe that Fred won top prize at the state fair... Best in show

QuiltMania 05-13-2011 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I met my DH (and his sister) at the Food Booth at the Dakota County Fair back in ? 1956 or 1957.

My projects were sewing, vegetable gardening, and some kind of cooking.

From what I understand, there are a lot more things to choose from now.

My youngest son (14) is doing his first year in 4H. He's going to be showing a lamb (who I suspect is part mule) in the county fair this July. He's working his tail off but having a lot of fun.

magpie 05-13-2011 05:51 PM

I was in from age 10 until 17. Neighbors were the leaders when I started, then my parents became leaders. Learned to sew, cook, bake. County apple pie champ 2 years in a row. Joined the square dance club, senior council and worked the Sr. council food stand at the fair every year. Lots of fun.

ragqueen03 05-13-2011 05:58 PM

oh did this bring back memories. I was in 4-H for many years. One of the things our leader required us to do was to take an outdoor cookery class EVERY year. then at the end we would go camping - sometimes to a state park, sometimes to property her family owned, once i remember an amusement park. And we cooked everything we ate! I saw her a couple of years ago and remarked about it and she laughed and said see you know how to cook anything over a fire - you're set when the power goes out - you won't starve! lol

DebLuvsQuiltng 05-13-2011 06:01 PM

I was in 4-H, starting as a fourth grader making a gingham bambuska (scarf). Also participated in the speech rally "Silly as a Goose" was my first speech. I learned so much in 4-H from my wonderful teachers who were committed to this extra-curricular activity... Mrs. Youngblood, Mrs. Jones, Mrs. Sedivy and Mrs. Wiliams. I became well acquainted with the "seam ripper" because not doing it right was not an option! The lessons I learned from them have stayed with me all my life, not just in sewing and cooking, but in always trying to do my best and learning from my mistakes.

booklady 05-13-2011 06:20 PM

4-H'er from 10 to ??? 4-h Clubs, Junior Leaders, collegiate 4-H all the way to international rep to UK. Still involved in IFYE alumni. In fact, off to CT for conference in June.

Did mainly sewing, food, knitting and others. Not a farm girl, so no animals.

2manyprojects 05-14-2011 03:23 AM

4-H Horse & Pony from 66 thru 73

mhollifiel 05-14-2011 03:26 AM

You BET! Our whole family participated growing up. . . and younger sibs were state winners and traveled to Chicago where baby sister met her husband! Seems like we did everything, went everywhere, held county offices. Learned loads. Still have a big box of pins. Loved 4-H camp and staying at NCSU for state competitions! So many dress revues and there was all that square dancing. Got kissed at Eagle Rock in GA during a collegiate trip there so the "big bird" won't get ME! LOL