Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do any former and present 4-H members belong to this forum? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-any-former-present-4-h-members-belong-forum-t122759.html)

PB from MN 05-14-2011 06:27 AM

I have not posted much and for some reason I needed to re-register. Anyway...

I was a 4-Her and my son's were both in 4-H as was my husband. My son's both graduated from 4-H due to a mother's persistence that you finish what you start. A few projects were finished in the car on the way to the Mille Lacs County fairgrounds. I learned a great deal about animal husbandry too, so I was learning along with them. It was great!

I am still a 4-H volunteer and a judge. I can tell you that I love to judge 4-H; we have some incredible youth. I judge primarily in the Home Ec areas-cooking, food preservation, sewing, quilting, demonstrations, consumer, etc. I tell people that my idea of fun is sitting in a metal shed in July and August when it is hot and humid; the weather can be extremely uncomfortable but I adore the youth and their projects.

I encourage you to share your talents to mentor and teach youth and encourage them with their projects. So many things are not being taught in schools anymore and a whole generation never learned to cook and sew, or know that things can be fixed, etc. I see so many youth trying to teach themselves or they give up because they do not have anyone to teach them.

From a judge's persective teach the youth to "sell" their project to the judge, if the 4-Her does not believe in their project how can the judge? I love it when a 4-Her takes the lead in the judging and I can see their leadership emerge. I also like judging the Cloverbuds (Kindergarten to 2 grade, I know some states have a different name for this age group), they either talk away or you need to pull every word out of them and they cannot wait until they are a "real" 4-Her.

I do feel passionately about the subject and got a bit away from the subject line. 4-H definitely helped me in my life and I am grateful for those that mentored me.

Baloonatic 05-14-2011 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by julia58
My family was also big in 4-H. My oldest sister did dog obedience, our poodle won 1st in the county fair. So that meant a trip to the state fair. The night before we were leaving for Indy., we let Fred (poodle) out to do his business. Well Fred caught up with a skunk. We each took turns giving him tomato baths. Everyone was up all night, including poor Fred. We went to the fair anyway, and you are not going to believe that Fred won top prize at the state fair... Best in show

Prolly 'cause he was so CLEAN!! And the pink tinge was a nice touch... ROFL!!

Baloonatic 05-14-2011 06:40 AM

I was in 4-H from about 11 till 17 when I started college. I raised and showed beef Angus (Best 4-H Angus Steer in the county fair one year!) and polled Herefords. I also took cooking and dairy for one year. I showed sheep for a year, but boy were they difficult compared to my steers!

I just read last month that one of the ladies that helped the club so much back then has passed away at age 92...

Mona Marie 05-14-2011 06:50 AM

I was in. Sewing, gardening, horse, chickens, dogs. Was also a leader

mommafank 05-14-2011 06:50 AM

I was in 4- H and then when kids little I formed a local 4-H group. We moved about a year after I started it so not sure what happened after that.

bob1414 05-14-2011 07:07 AM

I'm a former 4-Her!! Sewing, baking and arts & crafts. No farm related stuff as I was a "town kid".

polly13 05-14-2011 07:24 AM

Being in 4H is where I learned my love of sewing, which led to quilting. Great memories----oh those nerve-wracking Demonstration Days.

oksewglad 05-14-2011 07:30 AM

Another one who bleeds green! I was a member from 10-18, was a club leader for over 15 years and sewing project leader for about 4. I have also judged exhibits and presentations at county and state levels. I now work with the local alumni chapter. It costs to join 4-H, so our goal is to offer a scholarship to a graduating HS senior and help offset membership fees. Ex 4-H'ers think about that in your own area even if it's not where you grew up. There are kids out there who would benefit from your donations.
I was once a shy little girl--some people don't beleive it, but I was. 4-H taught me how to speak in front of a group and how to organize a presentation. I met DH while showing dairy cattle at the county fair; over 40 years later we are still working with milk cows and now our grands are following down the green brick road!

Suzanne57 05-14-2011 07:35 AM

I was in 4-H too. I had a couple of years of sewing, a couple of years of knitting and a couple of years of raising calves. Still knit and sew but don't raise calves anymore!

marilynr 05-14-2011 08:00 AM

I joined 4-H in 1947 & loved it. My daughter enjoyed it & now my grandchildren are also benefiting from 4-H.