Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do any former and present 4-H members belong to this forum? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-any-former-present-4-h-members-belong-forum-t122759.html)

gensquilts 05-14-2011 01:37 PM

I was in 4-h before you could join as my mother was the leader of our group. I got lots of ribbons. I still have the pinssomewhere.I sewed potholders aprons skirts blouses,dresses,even a suit in high school. My grandmother came to live eith us when I started highscooll. She was a professional seamstress. I even had a fower garden one year. Genny

gensquilts 05-14-2011 01:37 PM

I was in 4-h before you could join as my mother was the leader of our group. I got lots of ribbons. I still have the pinssomewhere.I sewed potholders aprons skirts blouses,dresses,even a suit in high school. My grandmother came to live eith us when I started highscooll. She was a professional seamstress. I even had a flower garden one year. Genny

trolleystation 05-14-2011 01:55 PM

All my kids( 1 boy and 2 girls) were in 4-H. I was a 4-H leader for 6 years. The experience was great for me and my kids.

SuzzyQ 05-14-2011 02:00 PM

Count me in! I got my Advanced Honours (18 projects - as far as I could go) then became a leader/volunteer. Have been a volunteer for 29 years. Thinking maybe next year will be the last one. Thirty is a nice round number. It's a great program - members learn a lot - and so the leaders. Got involved at the county level a few years ago.
Learned a great deal about cooking and foods, gardening, canning & preserving and sewing - anything you learned in 4-H was the reight/best way to do something. It is a great program.

quilterguy27 05-14-2011 02:20 PM

I was also in 4-H for several years during jr. high and high school. I showed sheep in the county fair. It was great fun and a wonderful learning experience. Oh the memories and the pictures. Sorry, none to share, lol. Toooo embarrassing.

Novice.for.now 05-14-2011 02:38 PM

Oh my, now I have to chime in. My parents started our 4-H club and I was a member from age 8 to 17. My children were in 4-H and now I work in the local extension office that oversees the county's 4-H program. 4-H can be an awesome experience for everyone. Lots of good memories. Also some memories of last minute struggles to get the exhibit, talk or demonstration done. Good times.

JANW 05-14-2011 02:55 PM

I'm from So.Dakota and did the same things in 4-H about the same time.

Quiltbeagle 05-14-2011 02:58 PM

I was in 4-H and dreaded turning 18 because I couldn't show my horses in their shows anymore. I traveled all over the state and had so much fun with my horsey friends as a teenager. Loved it!

RugosaB 05-14-2011 03:28 PM

My mom was the advisor, of a sewing club, back when I was a kid, 40 years ago. Then a lady started a dog club, and I found another love. I won at the county level, and just missed first at the state.
Then, I was an advisor of a dog club with my daughter belonging. She happened to win at the state levelk, and amazed a lot of people because she had a basenji

Didn't have to teach her to sew though, she was on a bed giving blood for her upcoming surgery, and I asked her where she got the skirt sahe was wearing. Seems she bought a top at Goodwill, and made a skirt out of it (she's just a tiny thing) Guess who got a sewing machine as a gift right after her surgery?

I love 4-H

KK 05-14-2011 03:30 PM

I learned to sew in 4-H in the 1940's !! one leader had a treadle machine we used. I used my g'mother's machine she brought from the Netherlands in 1911. I still have the machine - a treasure !!! It is a table top-hand crank with a wooden case.