Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do any former and present 4-H members belong to this forum?

Power Poster
    I met my DH (and his sister) at the Food Booth at the Dakota County Fair back in ? 1956 or 1957.

My projects were sewing, vegetable gardening, and some kind of cooking.

From what I understand, there are a lot more things to choose from now.

I was in 4-H from 10-18 and then went into Rural Young People. I did many different projects over the course of those years, sewing, cooking, furniture refinishing, etc.

Blog Entries
    Former 4-Her here. Member from the age of 10 until they booted me out at 18. My main projects were home interiors & sewing with a spattering of cooking,& some other things. I was a Jr Leader, club officer (held all offices at one time or another), active in Senior 4-H at the county level. Awards in County Dress Revue (Sr Division/represented my county at State Dress Revue), Leadership, Presentation, Silver Star, Gold Star & 1976 County All Star. I still have my 4-H hat with all its medals & badges. How about you?

Blog Entries
    I was never a 4-H member as a child but I was a leader as an adult. All my children were in 4-H. They did cooking, arts & crafts, chickens and sheep. It is a super program.

4-H'er too!
    Homemaking clubs as well as the agricultural clubs.
    Later a Leader.
    We didn't have kids, but were still in 4-H with kids who borrowed our calves!

Now a supporter and ready to jump on side for any 4-H efforts!

Honestly, I really believe, once a 4-H'er always a 4-H'er ... they change our blood to green at some point! :)

A former 4-H'er and my grown daughter was one. Both serverd many years and camp leaders also. Miss those days.

I was into 4-H with my daughter in the late 80's. We did goats. I never could understand why the kids had to wear all white clothes to show animals! We had lots of fun, and what great experiences she had.

I was never in it, but my mom was a leader of a sewing group, we lived in the suburbs. I remember her teaching sewing to 11-12 year old girls.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I was in 4-H years ago

1. I showed black angus cattle and got Champion with trophy and ribbons (also showed cattle down at the state fair)

2. made a butter cake and got 2nd Reserve Champion

I enjoyed being in 4-H and think other kids should try it, lots of fun

Craftybear

I was a 4-H'er from the age of 9 till 16. Learned to sew, knit, and loved the group outdoor cooking class! (pot-hole beans).

Blog Entries
    started sewing when i was 8 in 4-H...participated in 4-H through out my teens.

I was a 4-H'er from 10-16 yrs. I did mostly hand crafts, sewing and embroidery. My first thing I made was an apron on my grandmother's treadle machine. I made other garments as I got older and went to 4-H short course - state competition in Baton Rouge. Don't know if that is what it's called now. My first experience with a club. It was a lot of fun.

I taught 4 H in the 80's I taught tatting and crocheting. My girls all won blue ribbons.

Yup, hubby, myself and our children are all 4-H alumni. I sewed, that's all that was offered. Our kids did all sorts of things, sewing, home dec, cooking, woodworking, and photography come to mind.

DH still judges 4-H woodworking at the State Fair every summer.

Super Member IrelandDragonQuilting's Avatar
    I was in 4-H from the age of 8 till 15, I showed horses and did competion riding. One year I did show some lambs for a friend who got sick, that was tough! My brothers and sister did some horse competions but they were mainly in it for money so they showed their calves and sold them at auction every year.

4H is where I learned to sew. We had a "Dress Review" (fashion show) every year modeling an article of clothing or outfit we made and were judged.....receiving Blue, red or white ribbons as prizes. So much fun! I also learned to cook. My Dad taught the boys about electricity and woodworking. For our monthly group meetings, I was the song leader and played the piano. Good memories!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IrelandDragonQuilting
    I was in 4-H from the age of 8 till 15, I showed horses and did competion riding. One year I did show some lambs for a friend who got sick, that was tough! My brothers and sister did some horse competions but they were mainly in it for money so they showed their calves and sold them at auction every year.
    And you would be one of the ones this "wanna have a horse city 4-Her" was insanely envious of. :mrgreen: Thank goodness my wish finally came true. Later in life, but it happened.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyG
    4H is where I learned to sew. We had a "Dress Review" (fashion show) every year modeling an article of clothing or outfit we made and were judged.....receiving Blue, red or white ribbons as prizes. So much fun!
    Same here! Did you ever get to go to the State Dress Revue at UC Davis?

I was an 11 year 4=Her. Did alot of projects, inlcuding sewing. I always tell people that I learned to sew by peer pressure. One of my clubs leaders was a home ec teacher, so we had very good instructions and help! I also did alot of photography, and always wanted to show dogs. My daughter was in 4-H for 11 years also and did so many projects, including dogs. We both now teach the dog club, and I have been a leader for 15 years, and my daughter since she was 13. She was technically a Jr. Leader, because you have to have an adult. She is now 26. She even got to show lambs for the last two years of her 4-H career. Quite the talk of the county, for a city girl ! She had a big advantage from showing dogs. We are both big supporters of 4-H!

my whole family was in 4-H from the time we was at the age for it. I sewed, cooked, pigs, cows. My grandmother was the sewing leader. we had our meeting in my granduncles basement. was a family thing. My folks meet by the pig pens at the fair they have been together for 60 yr. last Nov.

Blog Entries
    Head, Heart, Hands and Health!

A great place to make friends!

I was a 4-Her until I graduated high school. Mostly sewing.

I had a blast! :-)

My brothers and I were 4hers. Unfortunately, I only completed 8 years (due to working and HS band demands)...I regret it now that I did not do the 10 years. My brothers did cattle and hogs. I showed horses and did foods and sewing. Our own 3 children have all completed their 10 years doing projects such as sheep, cattle, hogs, foods, sewing, crafts, cake dec., etc. I have been active as a 4H leader (asst) and have been on the 4H governing association. I am Foods chairperson now...in charge of the judging and fair display set-up. Our county 4H program is one of the tops in our state. Really do miss it...and I am always glad to help out younger 4Hers. DH is currently Treasurer for the association. We hope that someday our grandchildren will live in the area and want to be involved in 4H. We have a lovely barn on our farm just sitting empty in need of 4H animals to fill it!

Blog Entries
    My family was also big in 4-H. My oldest sister did dog obedience, our poodle won 1st in the county fair. So that meant a trip to the state fair. The night before we were leaving for Indy., we let Fred (poodle) out to do his business. Well Fred caught up with a skunk. We each took turns giving him tomato baths. Everyone was up all night, including poor Fred. We went to the fair anyway, and you are not going to believe that Fred won top prize at the state fair... Best in show

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I met my DH (and his sister) at the Food Booth at the Dakota County Fair back in ? 1956 or 1957.

My projects were sewing, vegetable gardening, and some kind of cooking.

From what I understand, there are a lot more things to choose from now.
    My youngest son (14) is doing his first year in 4H. He's going to be showing a lamb (who I suspect is part mule) in the county fair this July. He's working his tail off but having a lot of fun.

I was in from age 10 until 17. Neighbors were the leaders when I started, then my parents became leaders. Learned to sew, cook, bake. County apple pie champ 2 years in a row. Joined the square dance club, senior council and worked the Sr. council food stand at the fair every year. Lots of fun.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast