Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you have short, long or fake finger nails? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-have-short-long-fake-finger-nails-t49704.html)

CarrieAnne 06-15-2010 03:46 AM

I have ugly short ones. Between waitressing, ( we use harsh junk to clean), gardening, working around here, mine look so ugly!
My bosses wife has hers done every week, with diffrent polishes....so pretty, just not me, I wouldnt want to spend the money, and I would ruin them anyhow!

sueisallaboutquilts 06-15-2010 03:51 AM

My nails are natural and almost always polished. It's a little treat I love doing for myself :)
The best top coat out their is Seche Vite- makes nails dry super quick and shiny too. Most salon stores sell it, also CVS. I never use any other top coat. Also use a base coat- my preferred is Sally Hansen in the gold bottle. Then 2 coats of polish, usually OPI, then the Seche Vite. I can't tell you the last time the color chipped! I keep them on the shorter side. They grow long but I don't like them long anymore.
Love all the colors out there!! So much fun :D
Oh- I do my toenails the same way
As for colors- wow, there are so many!! I love brights and darks, usually. I tend to be trendy with colors. It's just fun :D

clem55 06-15-2010 03:59 AM

I have fake nails. I love them! My own nails were always vrey thin, and I never could have them looking nice, no matter how I tried. I have broad hands and sort of short thicker fingers, not pretty hands at all, and the pretty nails make me feel better about how they look. I don't have them done as often as I should , can't afford that! I try to keep them at an attractive length, not too long. I use OPI polish, Grand Canyon Sunset. It is a soft color that goes with everything I wear, and I always get compliments about the color. I don't have my hair done once a week, so my vanity thing is pretty nails.

raptureready 06-15-2010 04:27 AM

Plain, real and just long enough to look nice (unless I break one) but not so long as to be noticable or to get in my way. Never, ever any nail polish. I tried it a couple of times years ago and felt like my nails were smothering.

Joeysnana 06-15-2010 04:40 AM

My nails are very thin and break constantly. No product seems to help. I tried fake nails once. Loved the look, but couldn't stand to feel them on my nailbed. Now that I am quilting again, my short nails don't bother me at all!

cjomomma 06-15-2010 04:47 AM

Mine are real and long. They are also hard as nails, when they break it hurts. I stab myself with them all the time too, which doesn't make anysense cause I have always had them. I don't wear nail polish except for special occasions. Nail polish turns my nails yellow, yuck. Right now I have 2 that are broken and it is driving me nuts. It won't take long for them to grow back. I drink a big glass of milk everynight and when I don't I notice a change with my nails.

RatherB Quilting 06-15-2010 05:26 AM

My nails are long, but very soft and bendy. I am not sure how they get as long as they do. I don't do nail polish. I work with animals and it's just a pain since I wash my hands 10 jabillion times a day. My toe nails?...my hubby often refers to them as "the flesh peeling daggers." Maybe I should paint those?

Pam B 06-15-2010 05:29 AM

I have fake nails and cannot imagine not having them. I have a standing appt every 2 weeks to have them done. They are not long as I do have to be able to type and use my fingers for work. My favorite polish is OPI Pompeii Purple which is not really a purple (if you knew me, you would realize that I don't go for outlandish colors at all). It is more of an irredescent pinkish color. I also have my toenails done every 6 weeks. Yes, I do sometimes regret the expense of the upkeep of my nails, but I do work outside the home and I feel like it is my treat to myself.

Chasing Hawk 06-15-2010 05:31 AM

It depends, if I am working outside or in the shop (yard work or mechanic work) my nails are short because of breaking.
I usually keep them trimmed just past my finger tips.
I take a B-12 supplement daily to help keep them strong.

I don't wear polish or fake nails, I can't stand anything on my nails. I don't wear makeup either, then feeling and sensation it has on my skin is kind of creepy.

quiltedrunner 06-15-2010 05:40 AM

Fake here...

My nails, as I get older, seem to ridge up down the middle and even crack sometimes. The acrylic stops that from happening and my nails actually look nice. :) I don't do much else and even only have my hair cut every 5-6 months (it's longer), so I feel it's justified. :D