Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you have short, long or fake finger nails? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-have-short-long-fake-finger-nails-t49704.html)

Alu_Rathbone 06-15-2010 11:18 AM

I have short nails, and I don't polish them. I'm not a fan... but if I do polish I use blue! I love Blue!

jljack 06-15-2010 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
Long nails, except when they break! I hate fake nails. Used to wear nail polish all the time but rarely anymore. I like to keep my toenails short.

hehe, hair color is natural too. Grey, used to be red.

I'm with you Melinda...my nails are naturally very hard, and they grow long fast. I don't polish them because I handle paper all day and it wears off too fast. I keep my toenails relatively short and painted. Also gray hair now that used to be dark brown.

Quiltin'Lady 06-15-2010 12:25 PM

Mine (on their own) are nicely shaped, but are thin, brittle, and very fragile. Which is why I've done gel for most of the past 20 years [not counting a short period in the middle when I was an impoverished grad student and had to give them up]. I keep them like Patrice -- just long enough to look pretty, but short enough to type quietly and not get in my way. My nail lady uses a light (i.e., thin), clear gel and that's all -- the shiny finish looks like clear polish.

My hands used to be my one source of physical pride (which is partly why I started with the gel back in the '80s), but they aren't any more -- thanks to all my arthritic bumps and lumps. Now I'm just grateful for the days when I can still knit or quilt without hurting... [sigh]

Lori S 06-15-2010 01:14 PM

I took mine off years ago the upkeep was a real pain. Seemed like everything revolved around not breaking a nail .... or getting them filled... or changing the color.... it just got to be too much.

roselady 06-15-2010 02:08 PM

I hate my hands and nails. I have bitten my nails off and on since I was young. My hands are short and squatty, nails are too. I tried fake nails many years ago. I don't really like the idea of all those chemicals, the cost is a factor too. When I do let them grow, they are still not pretty, weak and misshapen. I have some pretty rings and I'm kind of embarrassed to put them on my unatractive hands.

2wheelwoman 06-15-2010 03:50 PM

I used fake nails when I was working, then dropped it as soon as I retired. Too much upkeep and $.

Now I keep them short-ish and natural. I treat myself to a pedicure a few times a year, and get outrageous colors, like lime green or orange or purple polish.

I'm also OK with my graying hair and rarely wear makeup. I'm more content with the "natural" me now that I'm older.

C.Cal Quilt Girl 06-15-2010 04:15 PM

Mine grow fairly quick and hard, break a couple and they all get trimmed down, and I start over.
Here's somthing to try though, noticed it helped to harden by accident. When you wax the car notice how hard & shiney they get!

craftybear 06-16-2010 12:01 AM

wow, that is good to know about the car wax

Originally Posted by C.Cal Quilt Girl
Mine grow fairly quick and hard, break a couple and they all get trimmed down, and I start over.
Here's somthing to try though, noticed it helped to harden by accident. When you wax the car notice how hard & shiney they get!

craftybear 06-16-2010 12:02 AM

I have found that shampoo is great to get the dirt out from under your nails

craftybear 06-16-2010 12:02 AM

I like to paint my nails and then give them 2 coats of clear nail polish