Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Friday the 13th (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/friday-13th-t230107.html)

craftymatt2 09-14-2013 06:36 AM

Ok Ok, i was married on the 13th, i hate being married and its been 41 years, yuk

Grace MooreLinker 09-14-2013 07:26 AM

never really had superstitions, they just seem to clutter up the brain..

red-warrior 09-14-2013 07:54 AM

I had twin grandchildren born 9/13/13...healthy and natural birth, so it is a lucky day for me! I also have 4 other
family members born on Friday the 13!

Chasing Hawk 09-14-2013 08:46 AM

Thank you Ladies for your insights and comments. I very much enjoyed reading all of them.

mjhaess 09-14-2013 12:41 PM

I have all those superstitions too. I don't put hats on the table. I wouldn't want to break a mirror.

Rose_P 09-14-2013 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 6290722)
i'm not at all superstitious, but sometimes i say something appropriate to the situation just to go along with others

Me too. I also knock on wood as a precaution when I talk about things going well, though I know it doesn't matter, and if there's no wood handy, plastic or whatever might get knocked. I never heard of burning sage. It might smell nice?

I stopped picking up pennies and other small coins years ago figuring that it might be more thrilling to some little kid coming along later. If I'm missing out on luck, now I'll know why.

My mother said that one of her mother's superstitions was that you never give knives or other sharp objects as gifts because it will sever the relationship. I doubt my grandmother or mother actually believed that, but it may have been passed down through generations. I never think of giving such a gift without remembering that, but if someone has knives as a Christmas wish it wouldn't stop me. In fact, I'm pretty sure I gave my DS and DIL steak knives one time and so far it hasn't caused any problem. Knock on wood. :o

P-BurgKay 09-14-2013 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by raedar63 (Post 6290464)
My dad was born on friday the 13 , so I grew up with him saying that Friday the 13th was the luckiest day ever LOL. I routinely burn sage so I guess I'm good for tomorrow ;)

I must agree with that, I too was born on a Friday the 13th.

nanacc 09-14-2013 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk (Post 6290424)
Well tomorrow is the 13th, what are your superstitions regarding this day. And what other superstitions do you have?

I will burn sage in the house in the morning.

I avoid walking under ladders.
I don't open umbrellas indoors.
I don't put shoes on the table new or worn ones.
Salt thrown over the left shoulder.
I don't close pocket knives opened by someone else. No one closes my pocket knives either if I opened it.

I am looking forward to all of your responses.

I'm certain you are not old enough, but you could have been my Mother. lol All except one about sage I have been warned about by her. (Of course, I guess the sage brush all around us covers that.) Now I just wish she was still here to fuss at me about these things. I was born May 13 and she always teased me that this was the problem with me. Finally, my DH discovered that I was not born on Friday! She got a big laugh over it!

nanacc 09-14-2013 07:01 PM

DM had others......Never borrow salt....something about going out the same door you came in.....Does anyone know the one about brooms?

OldHairTwister 09-15-2013 04:21 PM

If someone comes in one door but leaves by another it will bring you company.