Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Fun with telemarketers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/fun-telemarketers-t194219.html)

JoanneS 07-12-2012 11:35 AM

I love it! Maybe we should all try it.

palmetto girl 07-12-2012 04:57 PM

I once got a call from a co. selling lots at our local cemetary, I told them I already owned some there, He asked if I was satisfied with them? I told him I did not know I had not used them yet but check back after I died and we would discuss it, you know the rest.

weasier22 07-12-2012 07:36 PM

Love it! I can remember I got years ago and the telemarketer asked was she speaking to the person in charge of the phone. I said yes and hung up. Guess I was in charge!

freewilly 07-12-2012 11:13 PM

hmm...I get calls like that, too. And it's almost always "Rachel from Credit Card Services." And it's extremely annoying. The sad part is that Rachel is an automated message. One time I waited on the line to talk to a live rep, pressed numbers and waited again, only to get disconnected in the end! GRRR! There was nobody to talk to. What kind of telemarketing company is that?

There should be some kind of stricter regulation against them. I am on the DNC list but it doesn't seem to be working. Rachel better not show herself up my front door or I'll drag her all the way to the police station.

freewilly 07-12-2012 11:19 PM

My friends suggested I pull up pranks on other telemarketers who call me, too. I found a lot of prank tips from http://www.callercenter.com/articles...marketers.html.

But my question is, is it legal to pull up pranks on these nuisance callers?? I'm afraid pranks would get me into trouble instead. My parents are not gonna like it. I'm only 21.

Raine 07-13-2012 12:59 AM

Serves them right! Thank you .....lovin it!

LynnVT 07-13-2012 03:09 AM

I did that kind of work for a while when I was between jobs, and I have to put in a word for the people on the other end. It is annoying, but they are just working people like you and me, making very small amounts of money for doing such a difficult job. When you waste their time, you are keeping them from moving on. Would you treat someone in a store like that? Is it because you can't see their faces that you feel it's ok to be rude and mean to them? Isn't it just as easy to say, "I'm sorry, I can't give to your cause, but I hope the next person makes a donation. Goodbye." Hang up politely. I know I sound sanctimonious, but gosh, I'm really surprised so many otherwise nice people think it's ok to do this. Many telemarketers are handicapped or have other reasons why they can't do a different job. I love a joke too, but I'd rather laugh with a friend or family member than make fun of a stranger. They know some people don't want their calls, but they have families to support, too. OK, stepping down off my soapbox.

Sandygirl 07-13-2012 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by LynnVT (Post 5360716)
I did that kind of work for a while when I was between jobs, and I have to put in a word for the people on the other end. It is annoying, but they are just working people like you and me, making very small amounts of money for doing such a difficult job. When you waste their time, you are keeping them from moving on. Would you treat someone in a store like that? Is it because you can't see their faces that you feel it's ok to be rude and mean to them? Isn't it just as easy to say, "I'm sorry, I can't give to your cause, but I hope the next person makes a donation. Goodbye." Hang up politely. I know I sound sanctimonious, but gosh, I'm really surprised so many otherwise nice people think it's ok to do this. Many telemarketers are handicapped or have other reasons why they can't do a different job. I love a joke too, but I'd rather laugh with a friend or family member than make fun of a stranger. They know some people don't want their calls, but they have families to support, too. OK, stepping down off my soapbox.

Well put!
Sandy

Spuddy 07-14-2012 11:39 AM

Telemarketers

One day I received a call from a telemarketer and asked him to please hold so I could turn my stove off. I the put the speaker phone on and finished cooking our supper. I heard him sigh several times, and then said to someone on his end "she said she just had to turn her stove off" He finally hung up after several minutes.

Latrinka 07-15-2012 02:13 PM

That's a good one! I love when they ask for the man or woman of the house. I reply "She/he left and said they were never coming back"!