Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Good Grief no wonder we marched in the streets. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/good-grief-no-wonder-we-marched-streets-t68325.html)

Lady Shivesa 10-09-2010 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ

i don't object to anybody's religious views. ok. except for the nut over there worshipping a potato chip. but ... i digress.

Hey! I worship potato chips...:( LOL, jk.
:lol: :lol:

patricej 10-09-2010 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Lady Shivesa

i don't object to anybody's religious views. ok. except for the nut over there worshipping a potato chip. but ... i digress.

well ... i do think potato chips are devine ... especially when dipped into melty chocolate ice cream. :-D

bearisgray 10-09-2010 08:29 AM

well ... i do think potato chips are devine ... especially when dipped into melty chocolate ice cream. :-D

The rippled ones are also good dipped in the chocolate used for candy making.

DAWNROBIN 10-09-2010 09:41 AM

I'm blessed without a pain in the ******* husband .

Chasing Hawk 10-09-2010 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray

The rippled ones are also good dipped in the chocolate used for candy making.

eewwww

kapatt 10-09-2010 10:12 AM

laughing...my mother was raised this way. When she was a teen and her mother had to work out of the house because her father was disabled, my mother would get up early in the mornings and make the breakfast for her 4 working brothers. Then she would make their lunches, clean up the kitchen and get things ready for my grandmother and grandfather. She would go to school and then come home to do the laundry and make dinner at night. Later on, school got to be too much so she quit school and got a job. She still made the breakfasts and the lunches for her brothers, worked and came home to help her mother with dinner and clean the house.
Now my uncles, on the other hand, would get up, read the morning paper, eat the breakfast prepared for them, go to work, eat the lunch that was prepared for them, come home and eat the dinner that was prepared for them while they relaxed and read another paper.

My mother tried to raise me to be the same way...ha, ha. I rebelled at an early age and said that my older brother could take care of himself. :lol:

When we raised our children, both (girl and boy) learned to cook, sew on the sewing machine, clean the house, work on their cars, stack wood, drive the farm equipment and raise a garden. We worked as a team.
Now both are adults, finished college, have good jobs, are very self-sufficient and always ready to help others when there is a need.

The only thing that makes me laugh (with the way my children turned out) is the way that my daughter always goes to her younger brother to get him to change her brakes on her vehicle. She knows how to do it, but her younger brother (25 years old) always comes to her rescue. :lol:

kapatt 10-09-2010 10:47 AM

I talked in an earlier post about the difference between how my mother raised me and my husband and I raised our children.
I wanted to add a few other thoughts to this subject. I was in my teens during the 60's. I am a Christian, conservative woman who has a mind of her own. My marriage with my husband is wonderful and for many years I was a SAHM that was homeschooling her teens through high school. (I'm a glutton for punishment...laughing...I think teens should be frozen at age 14 and thawed out at age 21 when they finally regain their sanity.) ;)

The good things about today versus the 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's is that each person, whether they are male or female, can become what they want without someone trying to mold them into some little robot. I started being a SAHM in the 80's and I have to admit that it was pretty lonely. All of my friends had careers and very few stayed home to raise their kids. The world really encouraged women to get out and have a career. I read magazine articles about how it was hurtful for the mother to not have a job or a career because that wasn't training the children for a new world. It was the "career" generation and many felt that if the mother didn't have a career outside of the home, that she wasn't a successful woman. If she wasn't a successful woman, she could not raise her children to be successful. It was all a bunch of bologny of course but many people felt that way.

With only 1 income coming in, my husband and I had to watch out money like a hawk but it was something that both of us worked at as a team. During that time, my husband was gone long hours (firefighter) and I took care of the home. I did make things enjoyable for when he came home, but he also made things enjoyable for me when he came home.

Now my husband is retired, we live on the farm and I do a lot of the housework, but he comes in and does a lot too. (He cooks most of the meals, does laundry (never learned to fold clothes... :lol: ) vacuums when asked, does dishes when absolutely necessary :roll: but then goes out and chops wood for the woodstove, keeps our vehicles working, brings home the hay for the animals and mends fences.)

We work as a team. That is the secret...finding someone who understands teamwork and then each of us giving at least 80% to the team. The second part of the secret to a good life is to marry someone who encourages you to continue to grow as a person and doesn't try to make you into something he/she wants you to be. I love today's thinking a lot more than I liked the 50-80's.

Chasing Hawk 10-09-2010 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by kapatt
I talked in an earlier post about the difference between how my mother raised me and my husband and I raised our children.
I wanted to add a few other thoughts to this subject. I was in my teens during the 60's. I am a Christian, conservative woman who has a mind of her own. My marriage with my husband is wonderful and for many years I was a SAHM that was homeschooling her teens through high school. (I'm a glutton for punishment...laughing...I think teens should be frozen at age 14 and thawed out at age 21 when they finally regain their sanity.) ;)

The good things about today versus the 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's is that each person, whether they are male or female, can become what they want without someone trying to mold them into some little robot. I started being a SAHM in the 80's and I have to admit that it was pretty lonely. All of my friends had careers and very few stayed home to raise their kids. The world really encouraged women to get out and have a career. I read magazine articles about how it was hurtful for the mother to not have a job or a career because that wasn't training the children for a new world. It was the "career" generation and many felt that if the mother didn't have a career outside of the home, that she wasn't a successful woman. If she wasn't a successful woman, she could not raise her children to be successful. It was all a bunch of bologny of course but many people felt that way.

With only 1 income coming in, my husband and I had to watch out money like a hawk but it was something that both of us worked at as a team. During that time, my husband was gone long hours (firefighter) and I took care of the home. I did make things enjoyable for when he came home, but he also made things enjoyable for me when he came home.

Now my husband is retired, we live on the farm and I do a lot of the housework, but he comes in and does a lot too. (He cooks most of the meals, does laundry (never learned to fold clothes... :lol: ) vacuums when asked, does dishes when absolutely necessary :roll: but then goes out and chops wood for the woodstove, keeps our vehicles working, brings home the hay for the animals and mends fences.)

We work as a team. That is the secret...finding someone who understands teamwork and then each of us giving at least 80% to the team. The second part of the secret to a good life is to marry someone who encourages you to continue to grow as a person and doesn't try to make you into something he/she wants you to be. I love today's thinking a lot more than I liked the 50-80's.

Your last paragraph speaks volumes, that is truly the secret right there.

KarenSimon 10-09-2010 02:52 PM

"I think teens should be frozen at age 14 and thawed out at age 21 when they finally regain their sanity."

That would work!

patricej 10-09-2010 02:59 PM

make that 25. :lol: