Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Good Grief no wonder we marched in the streets. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/good-grief-no-wonder-we-marched-streets-t68325.html)

catmcclure 10-09-2010 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
make that 25. :lol:

I've always said from the age of 2 to 21, but 25 probably works too.

Can't believe I had two daughters married and let my husband talk me into another baby. He (the baby) is now 30 and so are his oldest nephews.

Annz 10-09-2010 07:23 PM

Oh my. It is a good thing things have changed because you would not find me or many of my friends doing the good wife thing.

slk350 10-09-2010 07:57 PM

I say...GET A LIFE !!! The way it is worded and that it WAS EXPECTED of the wife is what gets me !! Even though I was lucky enough to be a stay home Mom and I did have dinner ready, did all the housewhole chores (including repairs like plumbing, putting tile on floors, building a work bench in garage, replacing all the interior doors...JUST to name a few), run the 3 kids all over the place everything worked out fine..My husband has always provided for all of us and we have been married 32 years !!! BUT I'm from the hippie generation and I did burn my bras !!!

patricej 10-09-2010 11:03 PM

it still cracks me up that this is being discussed so seriously. :lol:

ok. i'll throw in my quarter. (2 cents in 70s change. :lol: )

i came of age during the Era of Gloria. naturally, i decided that my poor mother was oppressed and should rebel. why, i asked her, did she put up with my father's nonsense? why chain herself to the stove? i was incensed on her behalf.

she very patiently explained to me that she chose to work at home and to make raising and caring for my brothers and me her first priority. (second, really, because Daddy properly came first.) she had a degree and regularly declined job offers that would take her out of the house. it was always her decision and Daddy didn't interfere in her choice. On his payday, he handed her his paycheck and collected his "allowance". Although they loved and respected each other enough to discuss major purchases in advance, Mom had total freedom to decide what and when to spend. She never asked his permission for anything.

My parents always regarded each other as equals. Sooooo ... Mom was liberated long before we even had a word for it. :-)

Marilyn Philips 10-16-2010 02:58 AM

Sure you've heard of this kind of woman. They were called "Stepford Wives", remember the movie. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

IrishNY 10-16-2010 07:15 AM

I think, as one poster already pointed out, we should not be spending our time denigrating the spirit of the article that started this debate. That hits too close to home for anyone who has lived their life in this manner and is hurtful.

Instead, we should be celebrating that you can choose to follow every dictate in "The Good Wife's Guide" or you can do the opposite or you can choose not to be a wife at all, and it's all fine. There are no rules we have to follow anymore. Let's support each other's choices, even if they don't mirror our own, and be thrilled that we have a full spectrum of choice today. I'm sure we can all agree on that point.

JoyVoltenburg 10-16-2010 12:20 PM

we've come a long way baby!

bearisgray 10-16-2010 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by IrishNY
I think, as one poster already pointed out, we should not be spending our time denigrating the spirit of the article that started this debate. That hits too close to home for anyone who has lived their life in this manner and is hurtful.

Instead, we should be celebrating that you can choose to follow every dictate in "The Good Wife's Guide" or you can do the opposite or you can choose not to be a wife at all, and it's all fine. There are no rules we have to follow anymore. Let's support each other's choices, even if they don't mirror our own, and be thrilled that we have a full spectrum of choice today. I'm sure we can all agree on that point.

:thumbup:

leaha 10-20-2010 08:33 AM

been there done that, 1st hubby would come home and take out hanki I was up till midnight ironing and go over door sills and window sills, to make sure I had cleanded that day, had to vac, and wash every floor every day, and dust and wax every piece of furniture. dinner had to be on the table when he walked in the door, I even had to take cleanser and scrub brush and get up grease spots from driveway so no one would track it into the house! Does any one why I got a divorce back in 64???

sentimentaljourney2974 10-20-2010 09:19 AM

I wish someone would delete this. This has turned into a personal journal for marriage/relationships.