Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Have a yard/garage sale or donate? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/have-yard-garage-sale-donate-t298186.html)

SillySusan 07-11-2018 04:55 PM

I dearly love yard sales! I held a few on my own and helped run them for churches. And, I love to go to them and buy stuff. But, since I got to be a little old lady, I donate stuff I don't want, need, or fit into. I used to volunteer at a local thrift shop so I take stuff there and I shop there, also. Did I tell you that I love them?

bearisgray 07-11-2018 05:12 PM

I love to go to yard sales - I've gotten some great things on my "hunting expeditions"!

I'm just not so sure that I want to put out the effort to have one of my own.

cashs_mom 07-11-2018 05:47 PM

I wouldn't bother with a garage sale for misc household stuff. My husband was cleaning out his dad and stepmom's house and said "We could have a garage sale". :D I was like "Have fun." I don't even sell our stuff when it's old. I just donate it to the next charity that contacts me. I have a couple bags and some individual stuff on my front porch now the the Houston Achievement Place. It'll be gone tomorrow :)

zozee 07-11-2018 06:32 PM

It's never been worth it to me. I prefer to have the charity pick up from my porch when they're in the area, or take my stuff to either my favorite thrift stores or to a local church where the homeless appreciate certain items.

Sandra in Minnesota 07-11-2018 09:20 PM

Salvation Army or trash.

quiltingcandy 07-11-2018 09:33 PM

I did a couple of yard sales about 20 years ago - when my mother passed away and I had to deal with her things I called in an Estate Sales business. She was in WA and I live in SO. CA, there were a lot of books and I did not want to deal with the sentimental feelings with everything. We now donate items and don't try to sell anything. I did 2 items on Craigslist and decided never again. I live 7 miles from the Border - so you are not going to make any money. The people that have thrift stores come very early - usually before they are supposed to be there and try to buy you out cheap. They will nit pick to get the price down - for me it just wasn't worth it to us.

WMUTeach 07-12-2018 03:12 AM

Donate! I have never made enough cash to pay for the time and bother of a yard/garage sale of this kind of "stuff". Donate to a non-profit and you can write it off on taxes and that was/is just fine with me. The freedom from the burden of stuff is worth it.

sandy l 07-12-2018 03:16 AM

Salvation Army is the quickest and easiest way for us.

trolleystation 07-12-2018 03:24 AM

Lot of work to prepare for. My mother moved to assisted living and I 'garaged saled' her things. Made $1100. Most times, I donate to church rummage sales.

NJ Quilter 07-12-2018 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by gramma nancy (Post 8092197)
You have to consider the time involved in hosting a sale -- getting ready, sitting through it and cleaning up afterwards. If you think you will get enough money to compensate for the hassle, go for it. For me, I would donate.

Totally agree with this sentiment. When my dad died a couple of years ago sibs and I had to clean out his house. Half lived local to dad; half out of state. There were not enough hours in my or bro #1 (t he out of staters) to do a yard sale - and frankly not much would have sold. We just donated anything usable to a couple of local places.