Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Have a yard/garage sale or donate? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/have-yard-garage-sale-donate-t298186.html)

mojo11 07-12-2018 10:37 AM

I just donate.

mindless 07-12-2018 11:30 AM

This may seem a bit weird, but I have been known to throw a few unwanted "treasures" into the car and drive around to yard sales looking for the chance to swap for something instead of paying with cash. Fun, if not always successful.

I once heard of a small group of buddies who liked to "swap up". Swapping for things they didn't want, but knew someone who did. And swap that person for something else...maybe bigger/better. Each swap got them closer to getting what they really wanted.

annievee 07-12-2018 11:42 AM

i just donate or take to resale shop--get rid of things as they need to leave here--can be a lot or small amount.

ccthomas 07-12-2018 04:50 PM

Yard sales never again. Haven't for years. I only donate. I donate to various causes or people. It is a WIN - WIN. Makes me happy.

cathyvv 07-12-2018 07:05 PM

Donate or put near the curb with a 'free' sign. both work well and take little time.

kittiebug 07-13-2018 04:03 AM

Donate ...............;)

rryder 07-13-2018 04:30 AM

I’ve done yard sales in the past and made good money doing them. The secret is to decide that you just want the stuff gone and price it extremely low. You won’t get anywhere if you price things too high and aren’t willing to negotiate down. So it really helps to keep focus on your main goal of getting things gone rather than worrying about getting the best price.

One of my sales started at 8 am on Saturday morning and ended at 12 noon the same day because I was tired of it. I made $500 that day. Location can make a big difference. Advertising and signage also help. And having some larger pieces that will catch people’s eye as they drive or walk past.

On the other hand, I find that nowadays I’d rather just get things out of my space by donating them rather than stacking them in a staging room until I’ve got enough stuff set aside to make it worthwhile to do a sale.

Just depends on your energy level, tolerance for doing the prep work, and willingness to let stuff go for cheap enough to appeal to buyers.

Rob

Lady Diana 07-13-2018 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH (Post 8092311)
I can't be bothered. So much easier to take it to Goodwill.

Learned that Goodwill is NOT A CHARITY ORGANIZATION. We have made it's founder a multi millionaire each year.
He donates l% to charity, the rest goes in his pocket after paying his workers a measly salary. Salvation Army CEO on takes $13,000 in salary. SO THEY GET ALL OF OUR DONATIONS.

paoberle 07-13-2018 02:14 PM

In my opinion, yard sales do not return enough profit to justify the time and work.

gramma nancy 07-13-2018 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by cindyb (Post 8092632)
Salvation Army - if you have one close. The other organizations have CEO's that make ton's of $ from our donations.

I do not disagree that this may be true of some organizations. But in my area (Ocean City, Maryland,) there are thrift shops run by volunteers -- not highly paid execs -- for the hospital auxiliary, the local hospice, the local homeless shelter, the humane society, and a few churches. No one is getting rich and lots of donated things find homes and provide needed funding to the charities.

It never hurts to do a tad of research into your target charity when giving, either cash or stuff.