Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Have you ever received a call saying your computer called them? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/have-you-ever-received-call-saying-your-computer-called-them-t246947.html)

QUILTNMO 05-18-2014 02:46 PM

i say back to them i dont have a computer they hang up fast!! its a scam!

Dyan 05-18-2014 04:02 PM

I have received that call, I told him that " I am old and don't even own a computer" He quickly hung up.

mimiof4 05-18-2014 05:58 PM

I have two son in laws that are IT guys, (they work on computers for a big hospital network in our area). I don't need any outside help especially when they call me.

NanaCsews2 05-18-2014 06:09 PM

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/telephone/microsoft.asp

amelia0607 05-18-2014 06:17 PM

I have received this call several times. I just informed them that I have Best Buy's Geek Squad protection plan and when/if there is a problem, Best Buy will handle it for me. After this response a few times, they quit calling.

I'm just a bit concerned they will call my mom. I tell her to ignore such things but she's over 80 and technology sort bumfuzzles her so she might just fall for it.

sewellie 05-18-2014 07:51 PM

Ever had a telemarketer hang up on you? I usually hang up on them. Well, we were at our kids' place doing little jobs while they were at work when the phone rang. Since they only have a landline and can't call out I felt that it was a local call. When I answered it was someone who could hardly speak English. I said to him, "We don't live here, we're just casing the joint. Click, he hung up on me. hahah

Pilgrim 05-18-2014 08:59 PM

My daughter got a text message from someone last night and said fire and ambulance where at my house. She went to run out the door and head here and decided to call first. I told her we were fine and said they must have texted the wrong number. I have received this type of call you were talking about and I always give them a load of crap. If they call about aluminum siding I ask if it hard to install over brick. If they call about windows say your house is built in the side of a hill and have none. I am on the do not call list and still we receive crap calls.

barking-rabbit 05-18-2014 09:31 PM

I have get this call. First time I asked them for their number and I would call them back. Every time since I claim loudly that this is a scam. Hang up right now, and repeat those lines until they hang up. If they try to speak I interupt that it is a scam hang up.

citruscountyquilter 05-19-2014 03:48 AM

I have not received a call like this but several people in my quilt guild have and it was a topic of discussion at a meeting. If I don't recognize a phone number on caller ID then I generally don't pick up. If it's important the caller will leave a message and I can call back. I have a cell phone with a different area code than where I live and recently called an appliance repairman to get my fridge fixed and left a message. He called me right back but when he was here working on my fridge he said he hadn't answered the phone when I called because it was an out of area number and he thought it was a telemarketer so didn't answer. He said he gets a lot of telemarketer and robo calls so started not answering. When he saw that I'd left a message he checked the message and called me right back. It's rampant.

litacats 05-19-2014 04:33 AM

my brother inlaw got a call from them to and he doesn't even have a computer. I nearly got caught by them the first time they rang as I was expecting a call from telstra to fix a problem with my computer, I got wary when he asked me if I was sitting at my computer so I asked him for his number as I was too busy to talk to him at the moment so he gave me his number. I them checked up with the scam hotline and when he called me back I told him I had given his number to the police scam squad. now when they ring I just hang up on them.