Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Hot Hot Hot (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/hot-hot-hot-t46909.html)

thequilteddove 05-24-2010 08:07 AM

I love it! Not sure what the temp was yesterday or this morn'n but I've already jumped in the pool!

quiltsRfun 05-24-2010 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
SNOW!!! I didn't think any part of the US would be getting any more snow since it's almost June. Is that normal for your area of the country?

When it comes to gardening the rule here is that it's safe to plant after Mother's Day. We don't usually get snow this late but it's been known to happen. Usually we see the last of it in April and it's just a light snowfall with those tiny little flakes. Today as I drove to work there were big fluffy feather-like flakes coming down. Hope my garden survives.

Alu_Rathbone 05-24-2010 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere

Originally Posted by Alu_Rathbone
Summer has decided to hit us with an unfathomable punch of heat. Yesterday was in the low 80's and today it was 88 degrees but with humidity (I hate that about Chicago) it felt like 92 degrees and higher.

Guess you're in the Chicago area but your location on the left says "E.P."
:?:

Chicago is an easier location to point out... plus my sub burb is right over the border of Chicago. I could have just put Little Italy haha.

So day two... it is 88 degrees out side... and in side it is 85 degrees... I think it is time for my mom to get a new air conditioner! She doesn't think so... and I wanted to say, but I don't want to bear with a psycho woman every day... but I thought better of it... at least my sisters bedroom is cool... they have a small air conditioner in their room... we tried that one in here last year, it didn't do very well.

reach for the stars 2 05-24-2010 10:34 AM

I'm in central Illinois by Eastern College and it is 90 something (originally from Northwest suburbs) and I know how Illinois goes form hot to cold, cold to hot without any notice. It does work on the body. Hope u feel better

Baren*eh*ked_canadian 05-24-2010 11:10 AM

It's 27 degrees here (80 farenheit) but it feels like 33 with the humidex (92 farenheit)
I have two air conditioning units in the basement, but we had new windows installed two weeks ago, so the plexi-glass we used last year won't fit this year...

They're calling for 32 tomorrow (91 farenheit) 36 with humidex (97 farenheit) I think maybe I'll just hit the mall and walk around there all day.

granniebj 05-24-2010 11:40 AM

Its humid and almost 90 here! But I'm loving it!

amma 05-24-2010 12:18 PM

You might want to take the back off of your computer tower and see if there is dust collecting...that will also make your computer run hotter. Unplug the computer first, and take the vacuum hose with the brush attachment and gently vacuum the dust away.

ann clare 05-24-2010 01:57 PM

It was 28 degrees here yesterfay. Beautiful. Not so warm today.

fun2quilt 05-24-2010 02:03 PM

My air conditioner just died, so I am without this coming Summer season. Looking at swamp coolers, high power floor fans etc to keep my home cool when it gets hot starting next month.
[/quote]

Swamp coolers don't work well when the humidity goes over about 35%. They are wonderful in the high desert though. I loved the one we had in our house in western CO, way cheaper to run than an ac, but I don't think it would help cool off a house in high humidity. Good luck staying cool.

Kathy

Prism99 05-24-2010 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Alu_Rathbone
So day two... it is 88 degrees out side... and in side it is 85 degrees... I think it is time for my mom to get a new air conditioner!

It might need to be cleaned and/or might need replacement coolant (freeon). If you Google how to fix room air conditioners, you will find several websites that explain what to do. (Coolant replacement requires a technician, but cleaning you can do yourself.)