Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I remember when..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-remember-when-t154823.html)

Helovesme 09-22-2011 06:04 AM

The milkman delivered our milk in those glass bottles and how ice cold it always was.

jaciqltznok 09-22-2011 06:04 AM

I remember MOST of those, and when children were taught REspect and manners, when there were consequences for doing bad/wrong things!

canmitch1971 09-22-2011 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Sienna's GiGi
When penny candy was a penny a piece.

We used to get 3 licorice babies or black balls for one penny. That meant that with a dime you got 30 and that was a lot.

canmitch1971 09-22-2011 06:06 AM

I remember when we had a milk man and a bread man and I could get a bag of chips for 5 cents off the bread truck.

jaciqltznok 09-22-2011 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL
We had no locks that worked on the doors on our house. And when you called someone on the phone you told the operator what number you wanted or if you were a kid you just told her the name- and this was in a town of 50,000. And if someone offered you a ride home it was of course safe to take it even if you didn't know them because somehow they knew you and your folks and where you lived. Kids were safe all over town.

when I lived in a small farm town in MI I went to an estate auction one day and bought a HUGE ring of keys..many were still skeleton keys. I asked the daughter did her dad like to collect them. She laughed at me and said NO he was the trash collector for many years. Those were the keys to the houses in town! Seems back in the day the trash man just went in your back door and got the trash himself!

Greenheron 09-22-2011 06:20 AM

When men wore hats and took them off indoors.

When adults were addressed as Mr., Miss, or Mrs. by everyone not an intimate.

Everyday language was free of vulgarity, profanity and blasphemy.

"Obedience, Chastity, Honesty, Sobriety, Faithfulness" were virtues, not subjects of ridicule.

:cry: but there were two Americas--white and everyone else.

Sienna's GiGi 09-22-2011 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok

Originally Posted by tealady
When people dressed up for church and special occasions.

WITHOUT looking like street walkers!

Ahhhhhh! You ain't NEVER lied!

sueisallaboutquilts 09-22-2011 06:22 AM

I grew up in a city and my Mom got her milk etc from the milkman- she also had an egg man deliver.
She said I use to kiss them!!! hahaha

I was chasing men before I even remembered ! LOL

frauhahn 09-22-2011 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
If we forgot our hats in Catholic school to go to Mass we had to put a piece of tissue on our heads!!! I'm not joking :)

I can back you up on that!!! And the nuns always kept smelling salts in their sleeves.

jaciqltznok 09-22-2011 06:23 AM

I also remember babysitting for $.25 an hour! That was in the 70's! I remember quality calicoes for $1.00 yd and that was in the 80's when I worked for a family owned fabric business in PA. I remember flat fold fabric at Cloth world was $.79 yd that was in the 90's before Joann fabrics bought them out! I remember gas being $1.25 and that was 2005 right after hurricane Katrina! I remember a pound of Kraft cheddar cheese in the block was only $3.00 and that was last week, now it is $5.25!!!