Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   If I had to do it again (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/if-i-had-do-again-t56214.html)

b.zang 07-25-2010 04:20 PM

It's amazing the number of mix-ups related to names that happen. Still, I'd rather be a name than a number :)

My niece and I had the same name while she was going through a difficult time of life. I had to deal with fraud charges at the bank, tickets on my driver's licence and the inability to buy car insurance. One woman in the insurance office actually said, "well, I wouldn't think twice about applying fines against that name because it's so unusual. I wouldn't expect there to be two people with that name." I learned to always identify myself with my birthdate and was happy to remarry and adopt a new name.

quiltinghere 07-25-2010 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by KatFish
Their ID numbers are their SS number. But they still get the information wrong.

That should be wrong too with all the identity theft.
Their id number should be a number unique for the school to use not their social security number.

Unbelieveable! :shock:

marymc 07-25-2010 04:26 PM

My oldest son is a "jr" and I would never do it again. We have always used a nickname for him but everywhere else they are identical names. It happened that he went into the same line of work as my husband and belong to the same union. We watch everything very carefully! Also my MIL and I shared the same name. I quickly learned to use my middle initial after almost getting the wrong perscription!

Barbm 07-25-2010 04:32 PM

I have a son that is a Jr. and I know now it wasn't a good thing. I do searches for real estate and we were taught to ignore middle initials and Jr/Sr, etc. We have to present everything and put- may or may not be the same person. I don't want the liability of not disclosing a lien.

I've told my children not to do that to their sons- right now there aren't any issues, but I know what it can lead to.

I go To The Sea To Breathe 07-25-2010 05:08 PM

Our 2nd grandchild was born to our daughter 2 days before our son and his wife had their first child a boy. the girl was named after me, same middle initial, but different middle name. same with the boy being named my husbands name but he had diff middle initial. No problem when children, but big problems in the last few years. the girl has excellent credit but our things get added onto her credit report, then she is denied purchases. the boy moved in with us for a few months, when he left he turned in a change of address and checked whole household. that has been a year and a half. mess..we still do not get all our mail. he moved to another state, and has bad credit.....with the girl we raised her, so she has always had same address as us. Messed up bank accounts, etc. no one goes by the social security number...except the federal government. We have talked to 7 people dif times at main post office, so now we just hold their incoming mail and mail it when we get a bunch of it. they don't mail ours...everytime I get a call about a bill, they have us down as wrong state. then i realize they are calling for grandson with husbands name...what a terrible mess.....

Jingle 07-25-2010 05:31 PM

Hubby and Son has the same 1st and last name and has been a pain, they go to same Dr. and use their birthday and year and that helps.

Mamagus 07-25-2010 05:40 PM

I checked into a hotel in a city two provinces away and was told, "welcome Mrs. Murphy. Your husband has already checked in and gone to your room." Only problem was, I was divorced and traveling alone.

Came to find out that Lori Murphy from Lethbridge ALBERTA just happened to be vacationing in New Brunswick the same time Lori Murphy from Lethbridge Newfoundland was! AND we chose the same hotel for the same night!

Hope they had a better night than I did! LOL

julie 07-26-2010 01:07 PM

There was a boy a year behind my son with the exact same name. This boy was constantly in trouble throughout grade school and high school. My son would get called to the office many times. Once the other Nick took a lighter to school that looked like a knife. A student reported it to the principal, but didn't specify which "Nick Miller". My son was called to the office, his back pack and locker and person were searched. Of course he didn't have it, and the right Nick was called in and he did have it and was suspended. No apology was given to my son. I decided enough was enough and called the principal and gave him a piece of my mind. My feeling was that because the other Nick was in trouble so often, and my Nick was never, and I mean never, in trouble, the other Nick should have been checked first. We were on our guard Nick's remaning school years so this didn't happen again.

julie 07-26-2010 01:09 PM

Oh, and I have a cousin who had 5 daughters, all their names begin with the letter "T". The only way I can remember the birth order is to recite the names! lol

raptureready 07-26-2010 01:41 PM

I think every family has problems that way. In ours it was that John and Bonnie lived at 110 E. ----- St. and cousins Jack and Connie lived at 101 E. ----- St. Same town, same street, same last name. They always got each other's mail. I took my cousin's check to the bank to deposit it for him and because of the same last name they put it in my account even though his account number was on the papers and they knew both of us and his wife by sight.