Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   If I had to do it again (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/if-i-had-do-again-t56214.html)

vjengels 07-27-2010 01:45 PM

There's something to be said about the mentality of College admissions offices.... When my Daughter graduated, I told her I couldn't pay for college, she'd have to get funding..
on the loan application I had to put my age etc, etc... they had the nerve to call me a liar, and challenge the fact that we were 15 years apart in age! I asked the woman on the line if she seriously thought teen pregnancy was something they just made up in the last couple years! I would LOVE to live a life that resembled 'Leave it to Beaver'.

seasaw2mch 07-27-2010 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
one is a captain. i always know when she changes duty stations, gets promoted, or changes jobs. if i didn't automatically forward them, she wouldn't get a lot of the memos, reports or other important correspondence she needs to do her job. :shock:

when i retire, i don't know how they'll get their email or know when a package has shipped. :lol: :lol: :lol:

have you let this Captain know that you are not apart of the Army? She needs to correct this because it could be considered a breach in military security.

JoanneS 07-27-2010 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by C.Cal Quilt Girl

Originally Posted by JoanneS
Once, in Tucson, a collection company tried to get me to pay a bill for someone else with the same first and last name. They probably just looked in the phone book, and started calling people with our last name. My husband's first name is Charles, so I was probably the first one to answer their call. When the person said 'Is this Joanne S------?' I asked 'Who's calling?' That's what I always do when the voice isn't familiar. He just started saying had to pay an overdue bad debt on a J C Penny credit card. I told him I have never had a J C Penney credit card. Of course, he didn't believe me. I didn't argue with him. I just hung up.

The 2nd or 3rd time he called, he made the mistake of asking if the last 4 digits of my social security # were ABCD. I told him that wasn't mine. He kept calling, and after a month or so, I told him the law required him to send me written notice of the debt (which is true). I had called the Tucson DA's office to report that they were hassling me, and that's when I found out that the collections agency had to send me written notice BEFORE they started calling on the telephone. Actually, I was lucky, because they never called in the middle of the night, like you hear in some nightmare stories.

It turned out that it was a collections agency from a city in another state, so the Tucson DA couldn't do anything about the hassling. I wrote to the Chamber of Commerce, the Better Business Bureau and the State Attorney General of the City and State where the collections agency was located - with a copy to the collection agency. I never heard from them again. But it was a royal pain in the A~~ for a couple of months.

They probibly just bought the debt from a collection agency for pennies on the dollar, looking for a return, and you where a close enough name to try, Don't be suprised if this resurfaces, tese tend to go round and round. Good Luck !!

I think I'm safe now - it was about 4 years ago. I'm like a pit bull when I get riled up! They picked on the wrong person!

mom-6 07-27-2010 09:07 PM

When my oldest was in 3rd grade there were 3 David Smiths in his class! And in Jr High and High School there were two with the same initials, but different middle names, and the other one went by his middle name, but the school did get them mixed up more than once.

What was really aggrevating was my daughter whose name is Michelle kept getting mixed up with a Michael who was 1) a boy, 2) did not do very well in school 3) was in trouble quite a bit. First time I got his 'progress report' instead of hers I about had a fit...then I looked at the name...wrong kid, not mine, don't have to flip out.

patricej 07-27-2010 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by seasaw2mch

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
one is a captain. i always know when she changes duty stations, gets promoted, or changes jobs. if i didn't automatically forward them, she wouldn't get a lot of the memos, reports or other important correspondence she needs to do her job. :shock:

when i retire, i don't know how they'll get their email or know when a package has shipped. :lol: :lol: :lol:

have you let this Captain know that you are not apart of the Army? She needs to correct this because it could be considered a breach in military security.

no worries there. classified materials go through a completely different system. beside which, she doesn't cause the problem. it's those who don't pay attention when they pick "her" name out of the address book.

if it was a breach of security, i wouldn't have mentioned it here. ;-)

Slow2Sew 07-28-2010 10:16 AM

Someone in another state with an extensive felony record has the same exact name AND birthdate as my DS. She always has problems getting her business license, drivers license, etc.

zz-pd 07-30-2010 12:34 AM

There is someone with the same name as me, when we bought our house I was canceling all these credit cards I did not own. did not think anything of it, except made me angry that someone used my name. then last year went to get my meds filled, and they said they already filled one of my meds. after that, I give them my address. God bless. Penny

Kas 07-30-2010 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaMas
documents are never supposed to use "nicknames" So, their reasoning is kind of void :D

my DH is a jr.
alot of his fathers stuff shows up on his credit report alot.
i thought the whole purpose of asking for socials and ID #s was to avoid the hassle similar names cause.
Seems too many people are too lazy to actually bother checking #s.

I was told by the DOL that I couldn't use my SS card to prove they had screwed up my middle name on my driver's license because you can put nic names on your SS card? What the heck? When I got married I dropped my middle name and changed it to my maiden name. I did this with the SS administration and everything else. When I went to change my driver's license, they changed my last name but left my old middle name. Then they told me it would be an extra charge to change it to the correct name (my LEGAL) name two minutes after they screwed up. I still haven't changed it because they want me to bring in my birth cert. and marriage license to prove I changed my name. Yet my SS card won't work and they won't even ask for proof of address in this state for you to get a license. It takes two pieces of mail proving you really live there to get a LIBRARY CARD. What is wrong with this picture? Whew. I feel better now!

MadQuilter 07-30-2010 10:40 AM

My name keeps changing. Like many Germans, I do not have a middle name, so I was surprised when I kept getting mail for Martina L. - Later it was Martina Luise, Recently it changed to Martina A (as in Pat's middle initial) and the last one added a sex change because it was addressed to Martin Arnold.

Yikes!

texas granny 07-30-2010 10:40 AM

My first name is Barbara so I go by Bobbie.
At the Dr office there are 2 of us with the same last name so they have to go by the birthday to make sure they have the right chart.

I have often wonder why parents would name there childern with the same Letter. Like a Keith and a Kurt. I under stand it when they are twins.
Sound like the school is being lazy not making sure your daughter get whay is rightfully theres.