Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   i'm not even old enough to be MARRIED. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/im-not-even-old-enough-married-t76259.html)

JeanDal 11-16-2010 06:47 AM

Nope. Go out, have fun and when YOU are ready to settle down get married.

IBQUILTIN 11-16-2010 08:48 AM

There is no such thing as being "old enough" to be married. Enjoy your present, and don't worry about the future. It will happen when it is time.

kit'smamma 11-16-2010 10:01 AM

Had I waited beyond 21 by a few years I never would have married the man who was my husband of 43 years. His drinking concerned me back then but young ladies were so pressured by the social norms of the day to marry the minute your education was over. I have one daughter who married at 21 and is now in the third marriage. My other daughter didn't take the step until age 48. So far so good.

ilovequilts 11-16-2010 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Arleners
By the way he has a civil service job with full medical benefits :~D

Haha you wouldn't be trying to set me up now , would you?! haha

JLMiller 11-16-2010 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by ilovequilts
Okay, okay, I am old enough to be married, but what's the rush?! I'm 21 and today I ran into someone I've known for quite a while (a friends mom) and she proceeded to tell me of all my friends that are married, are getting married and says to me "Well Hailee, when's it YOUR turn?"

I wanted to respond rudely, but merely laughed it off...then called my mom and vented about it.

Seriously. Is it really that bad that I'm 21 and not yet married? grr...

not at all I think its great... so many young people get married way to early then the next thing you know they are divorced
I say... good for you

Alu_Rathbone 11-16-2010 03:00 PM

Like I've said, I'd love to get married, but am I ready? No. I have to get at least my undergrad out of the way... Then maybe I'll consider getting married.

Does that mean I won't date during college? No. I just can't be tied down and I really need the financial aid... so getting married is out of the question.

Lady Shivesa 11-16-2010 03:08 PM

I'm twenty-one as well. DH and I got married in 2009 (I was twenty at the time). I don't regret it for a second, but also realize it's not for everyone!! :)

I don't know the lady who said that to you, but it's quite possible she was just teasing you. I know my family (grandma, mom, sister, etc) constantly ask when we're going to have a baby. I laugh when they ask and enjoy their questions and interest, but tell them it will be at least another year or two! :)

brushandthimble 11-16-2010 03:23 PM

My son is 34 and never been married. Hope he meets someone one of these days:)

Dolphyngyrl 11-16-2010 06:27 PM

21 in my opinion is too young, i didn't get married till i was 27, i enjoyed my single life and youth, it is so short, plus i think when you're older you are more mentally ready for marraige, its a lot of work

Alu_Rathbone 11-16-2010 06:38 PM

I think it depends on the person though, there are those who should wait and there are those who would be ready at a young age.

My parents were young 22 and 20 when they were married. They had me two years later... they divorced two years after that... They liked to party though.

Where as I am more reserved. I don't like to party. So getting married young wouldn't be so much a hassle. Thing is ... you could be older, be ready to marry and things STILL not work out well...