Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   June2011 Weight Loss Adventure and Prize! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/june2011-weight-loss-adventure-prize-t126896.html)

purplemem 06-14-2011 10:45 PM

I'm very upside down, cuz I have constant insomnia.
I use the 6a and 6p method.
If I'm up at either of those times I eat a meal.
and the 12 in between.
snack every 2-3 100-200 calories.

Xylie55 06-14-2011 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by nancia
here's my deal-- i usually get up sometime around noon to 4pm, typically going to bed any where from 4am-7or 8am. having an upside down life means i can't use the usual times-- like don't eat after 8 for example. i try to pay attention to my real hunger (not the lonely hunger, bored hunger, and other emotional hungers) as cues when to make a meal or have a snack. i try to wait a minimum of 4 hrs, before having another bit of food. does anyone else have this sort of challenge? how do you deal with it?
p.s. i am losing!

That's good your losing.The real hunger is when your tummy growls a bit.We are so use to super sizing everything,and over stuffing,that now I literally almost puke when or if I overeat.There was a time I could eat 4 times that amount and not bat an eye.But not now.I listen to my body.Usually I've had enough after about 6 bites.When I reach that stage of eating when I take that 1st big breath?That is about time for me to stop.So,count your bites till your done,and try it.Next time,quite,stop,and get up and walk away when you've took that big breath.It's telling me,I've had enough.You won't starve,and you'll feel much better.I still need duds.I'm back to 160 again.So now want to shoot for the 150-140 mark.I lost 20 pounds in 7 days one summer in Kansas sweating in the 100% humidity,and going on 3 weeks of the Spirutien and drinking tons of water.I couldn't believe it.I had to look twice at the scales.As I generally lose 15 to 25 pounds give or take while on it three weeks.But haven't been on it in yrs,as I been losing on my own with portion control.But if I plateu out,I'd go on it to kick start the losing again.On the other hand,sometimes our bodies do need a break and it's good for us.As long as we don't gain!Sounds like everybody is doing good and hanging in there.I drank over a gallon of water today.It was HOT outside,and the last few days I been outside.My well water pump I thought was fixed, acted up again.I don't know why GUYS say,"it's the foot valve" so I buy a chk valve,because the footvale has to have the well pulled to replace.I can't do that,or afford to have that done.They didn't even look at it.A guy 2 days ago said I needed a new $400. tank.He too never looked at it.So I got on the internet and looked up water tanks,and found 1 site that said to drain the tank and 'BLEED" the air out if it was waterlogged,(it was) so I did that,now it's working fine.Me,I'm back to 90 pounds gone,and 35 to 40 more to go.Heck,who am I kidding.If I could get to 140 and keep it off I'd be a size 12-14.I realize that's not a 02 or size 1 but hey,I don't want hubby to beat the sheets to find me.LOL.Keep going,if I can do it,SO CAN YOU!

Xylie55 06-15-2011 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by pnptrapp
Weighed in this morning and I'm down 2.5 lbs! YAHOO! That makes a total of 3.1 lbs so far this month! Finally starting to get back into the weight loss instead of platue! Gotta get creative to keep it up. Thinking I'll be utilizing the gym at school now even though I won't be able to renew sessions with Bill.

Rhonda, my workout buddy, will be over later tonight so we'll get some cardio in. Going to get some core exercises in before that! Gotta do a little cleaning in the house today!

That's good you've lost some.I'd just be careful not to put on muscle,altho it does burn calories better,yet can weigh more than fat.I'm solid as a rock myself,always have been.Ever since I was young,but we had a P.E. teacher that was absolutely brutal on us.And I guess it just stuck with me,because I'm still solid.I have skinny arms and legs,but the belly is where mine is.I guess I'm apple shaped.But it's going down.I'm a 38 waste now,where before I was 53 inches.So 15 inches down.I'd like to get into my 32's again.I don't know how they had 16 or 18 inch belly's back in old times.That would be like 8 or 9 inches across.Really tiny.Heck,my dog is 21 waste.And she's a med sz dog.A rat terrier.Anyway,keep it up.your doing great.

charity-crafter 06-15-2011 05:14 AM

I've lost about 8 pounds so far this month. For me I lose the first 10 pounds pretty quickly by just stop the boredom eating in front of the tv at night and on the weekends.

When I'm not paying attention I can easily eat 1/2 to 1 box of cereal in an evening just casually munching 'because there's nothing better to do'.

I've actually stopped watching a lot of tv now. Just a few shows on PBS and the Big Bang Theory-love those geeks.

I'm studying to take a certifaction exam for work, the NRRPT exam. It's so annoying because I'm <cough> a few years out of school, my brain doesn't remember the minutia of how radiation decays or the physics behind why gamma rays interact with matter differently then beta particles. So I was stressing over the test and eating because I was stressed.

But after I gained 15 pounds in 4 months because I was stressing over this stupid exam... I decided to talk with my doctor.

I was officially diagnosed with ADD a few years ago and used the medication for awhile while I figured out how to set up coping mechanisms and it worked. I stopped taking the adderall.

For this year, I'm taking the medication again only when I study and oh, my goodness. It's absolutely amazing how much better I'm doing with memorizing. I can actually sit, read and comprehend without my brain jumping from topic to topic-not science related-well, everytime I saw a diagram I kept thinking hey, I could embroider this into a quilt for a kid. I'd jump up grab some fabric and start desinging. That's why I finished 2 science quilts last year. I posted them in the photo section-

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-127911-1.htm
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-127524-1.htm

I actually have enough more squares covering tops on cell biology, how cancer grows, how radiation stops the growth and some basic immunolgy principles. Sad isn't it? At least I make quilts for kids with cancer so they may enjoy them.

It's still hard, but at least I know I have another year to prepare for this test and actually for a change am not stess eating about it. I think I can do it.

And I'm not turning to food. I'm studying (yuck). I read that research shows if you keep your brain active as you age it will help with preventing dementia so hey, maybe this is helping my brain grow.

Xylie55 06-15-2011 05:52 AM

I've lost 8 pounds this month too.Which I am thrilled about.My main concern is to keep it off.You would be surprised how just even 3 pounds a month will stay off better.And more permenant,if we don't get in a hurry.Today I don't feel good.1st time in over 10 yrs I felt I'll.In fact I woke up feeling sick to my stomach this am.I or my hubby hasn't had the flu or even a cold in over 6 yrs now.Maybe too much heat.Am going to have to stay inside and take it easy.May have to see my doc and get something.Anyway,keep it up.You all can do it,if I can,and I did.I am losing weight,I am losing weight.I am losing weight.It's working!

charity-crafter 06-15-2011 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Xylie55
.My main concern is to keep it off.You would be surprised how just even 3 pounds a month will stay off better.And more permenant,if we don't get in a hurry.Today I don't feel good.1st time in over 10 yrs I felt I'll.In fact I woke up feeling sick to my stomach this am.

That is true, I can lose 10 pounds so fast it's not funny. If I've been especalily bad at eating/exercise for awhile. Then I get content that I'm losing so fast and decide I deserve a treat for being so good, then another because that didn't cause me to gain any weight.... then slowly I'm back to where I started.

The slow but steady weight loss is what stays off for me.

Hope you didn't get a touch of food poisoning. So much of that is going around.

MissyGirl 06-15-2011 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by purplemem
It is hard because we are changing our habits, and changing is always a hard thing.

It is also hard because our bodies are used to this extra fuel and it doesn't want to change either.

Keep it up, slow and steady!

You are so so right! Oh and I LOVE THAT PIC of you and Lulu!!!

Missy

irishrose 06-15-2011 07:09 AM

Charity, very interesting quilts. I have ADD, too, as do two of my children and several of my grandchildren. I swear it's worse now that my body can't keep up with my mind.

Xylie, With that much water, did you take in enough salt? Being salt deprived will make me weak and sicky feeling. I thought you had decided 150 was a reasonable goal. If you have heavier bones than I do, that's a good goal for our height. BTW, you want to build muscle. It burns more calories and protects bones from injury, etc. I'd love to turn the fat in my body to muscle. I was one of those with a 21 inch waistline. Made finding clothes very interesting as I was normal sized above and below the waist. I went into the hospital to have my third child with a 26 inch waist. Funny the things we remember.

I went back to my TV exercise program yesterday. I love it, though I wish it each section were longer. It's a very quick 30 minutes. The Senior center offers Tai Chi and chair yoga, but that means getting up in the morning and getting myself over there. I have a script for physical therapy, but my copay is $30 a session, so that's a problem. I need to pay my house insurance before I worry about that.

My weight is so stuck. I keep forgetting to try on my smallest pants to see how many inches I have to go. BTW, I think a 12-14 is a very reasonable size - a normal 12 or 14 from Penney's, not a fancy designer one that would be an 18 or 20 in the real world. I don't what that translates into men's jeans sizes. They don't work for me. If you're an apple, I'm a pear. I do think these rocker shoes have slimmed my backside somewhat. That's not why I wear them. My foot couldn't bend when the nerve damage was bad and these babies don't bend.

Looks like I've rambled enough for now. Y'all have a good day. Like Rita's mom said, "Eat small and healthy."

I AM losing weight - the scales just don't know it. Judy

lawsonmugs 06-15-2011 08:14 AM

Judy I love that you wrote "your losing weight-the scales just don't know it" Funny.I needed a chuckle. thanks.Mary

irishrose 06-15-2011 08:43 AM

Woohoo! I weighed myself when I changed clothes to go mow the lawn. I am down two pounds. The one I keep gaining, plus a new one. I will set an alarm for 2:30 so I don't miss my exercise program today. That was a pleasant surprise after my good sized dinner last night. I will also remember to try on my 'school' clothes when I take my bath. I need to find a new way to identify those clothes. My orthopedic surgeon took away my school days. No more concrete floors. Ah, well, more time to quilt - just less money to buy fabric. Such is life.

I AM losing weight. J