Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   lady wants to move into our basement-seriously (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/lady-wants-move-into-our-basement-seriously-t36613.html)

SaraSewing 02-11-2010 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic

Originally Posted by nativetexan
So what do we say??

"no"

Just tell her what you told us! "Sorry, but that won't work for us"

MissTreated 02-11-2010 08:09 AM

I had a BIL move in for "a little while" one time, and over 2 years later, he got mad and moved out. Thank goodness! It was horrible, he was not a good person to have in my home. Then the other BIL moved in with his family and stayed 5 months. I don't recommend it. In neither case did they pitch in for utilities or whatever.

Take if from me, "JUST SAY NO!"

charismah 02-11-2010 08:12 AM

thanks. i'm 65 and my hubby is 84. we do well to take care of each other! I work full time, even with my back - but that will get better.
my hubby is a hoarder of sorts so our house really is a mess. he wont' throw away anything. you should see how i park in the garage-very carefully!

HI Native Texan.....
Here is the thing...YOU ARE 65! YOU get to do what you want...say what you want and you don't have to do anything that you don't want to do.....WHO CARES what other people will think?? Say "NO" and mean it! DOn't get suckered into doing something you don't want to do....compromising yourself anymore is out of your relm of possibilities!

I hope that helps you!
LOL!

:wink:

Shelley 02-11-2010 08:17 AM

Just say no. And if she presses for a reason, you can give one of the above, or just say that you found out the last time that she was there that she just isn't a good fit for your household.

Once is an emergency. Twice is a habit.

SaraSewing 02-11-2010 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Shelley
Just say no.
Once is an emergency. Twice is a habit.

I love that saying!

nativetexan 02-11-2010 08:24 AM

yes, we don't even really know where she lives at the moment. she leaves us a phone number but that's all. she had a rent house but not sure she still does. she said she is having to sell her house due to job loss. she mentioned the town she lives in during a conversation but never said the name of it. secretive for some reason. she is around Denver somewhere.
she used to work about five blocks from our house but never came by here unless she wanted to borrow something.

Dancing Needle 02-11-2010 08:38 AM

I'd just tell her NO! I've been in your same situation more times then I like to think about. I had one "boarder" once that was going to stay for 6 months, ended up staying a year, and when I finally told her she had to find somewhere else to stay, I was the bad guy! She never spoke to me again (big loss, huh?). Anyway, it's your home, and your decision....just cuz she asked doesn't mean you have to say yes. (Take it from someone who has learned that lesson).

Dancing Needle 02-11-2010 08:45 AM

This will get around to the relatives that we are terrible people but she’s the kind who latches onto people and inserts herself in their plans, etc. So maybe they won’t believe her too much.

Oh, and one more thing, if the relatives think you are terrible people for not letting her move in with you, just tell them that because of your decision, she is available to move in with them. (That ought to keep 'em quiet).

:D

JJs 02-11-2010 08:51 AM

the word is an emphatic NO!

did you know that if you allow someone to set up residence in YOUR home and they establish that as THEIR address, YOU cannot FORCE them out of YOUR home??? We've watched "cops" and other reality programs enough to NEVER let ANYone ever again stay in our home for ANY reason than a few nights vacation from son/DIL or Daughter/SIL.....

absolutely say NO

cjomomma 02-11-2010 08:53 AM

I would tell her NO!!!!! Plus aren't there laws you have to follow before you can rent a room out to someone. Don't you have to get a license for that and then there is the taxes and so on and so on. How's that for an excuse.