Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   My town is so small.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/my-town-so-small-t103174.html)

sewTinker 02-26-2011 11:15 AM

I'm in a larger town now, but lived for six years (prior to moving here) in a small town. pop 900. it was the county seat. (County population, 13,000.) We didn't actually Live in the town - just nine miles out. It had a cute town square, a nice little market, a restaurant, and two gas stations. Unexpectedly, the people weren't very friendly... kind of 'closed,' to us San Franciscan natives. But still, it was a fun thing to do. The county fair was cute and featured stage entertainment = the focus: buck dancing. It was hard to sit still with all that live music! :-D

QuiltingGrannie 02-26-2011 11:23 AM

Where I grew up:

In PA.

No schools, no churches, no fast food places, the post office was the front room of a lady's house, no grocery stores except one small convenience store/gas station, no stop lights.

My Dad knew everyone and if they were late for work or had a new vehicle by the time of day each car drove past our house!

He was the fire chief, and ambulance driver.

In elementary school there were only about 5 of us that were not related to the other kids or the teachers.

kuntryquilter 02-27-2011 04:08 AM

I would love to live in your town. I love small towns.

Originally Posted by ptquilts
... we share a K-8 school with another small town. (high school is 15 miles away).

...no police dept, just a constable.

...the only stop light in the county is in the next town.

anyone else? I know there are a lot of small town folks here.

damaquilts 02-27-2011 04:50 AM

Sounds like a place I would enjoy living. Living in Fairburn Ga was nice everything I needed was within a few minutes but I had an urban farm across the street. Lots were almost an acre, no McMansions, houses built in the 50's at least in our street. Older houses scattered through out town.
VA. Beach is just not my style, Houses on top of houses. Makes me feel really crowded. Except its a ghost town on this street. Been here almost 3 months and hardly seen a person .

Yooper32 02-27-2011 05:17 AM

Small and smaller. No traffic light, just a 35mph sign for about a mile, one teensy post office, don't imagine it will be here much longer either, one Fire Dept., several churches along the road and that is it.

Yooper32 02-27-2011 05:18 AM

Small and smaller. No traffic light, just a 35mph sign for about a mile, one teensy post office, don't imagine it will be here much longer either, one Fire Dept., several churches along the road and that is it.
OOPS, jittery finger, I guess.

lyndad 02-27-2011 05:35 AM

I live in the county seat so we have a courthouse, 1 caution light, we do have a high school and a couple of hamburger joints. The population is about 2000.

Connie in CO 02-27-2011 06:21 AM

I live outside of town,going in one stop sign with a three way stop.One market,bowling alley.1 quilt/yarn store.School K-12 post office,two banks.Look out summer the visitors are all over the place.Connie in CO

mrs_uncle_fuzzy 02-27-2011 06:27 AM

I wish we lived in a town like that! I grew up in a very small town, and untill 5 yrs ago managed to live in fairly small towns. We had to move due to my husbands job and now live a few miles west of Portland Oregon. I have turned into a hermit! I no longer know my neighbors, driving here is insane sometimes it takes you 40 mins to just run across town! There are to many people and to many shops, and after 5 yrs I still get lost all the time, for goodness sakes the roads names change 4 or 5 times while you are driving down them! You don't know the owner of the grocery or the pharmacy, or even the people you sit sit near at church.I miss my small town life so very much, count your blessings! All I can do is pray I can convince my hubby to move when we retire!

Hosta 02-27-2011 07:01 AM

our town was like that when I was little three policemen volunteer firemen one school it was nicer then now its a straight line of traffic all day and a stop light every 50 feet