Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   naked lady lily (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/naked-lady-lily-t145109.html)

dublb 08-15-2011 07:09 PM

I have some that my neighbor gave me.He told me they were 'Bare-Naked Ladies!' They did not bloom this year, too dry!!

Naturalmama 08-15-2011 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
mom calls them 'Naked ladies'.. or did I just hear her wrong all this time?!?!?! :shock:

You did not hear wrong - this last pic shows it well --- they don't have leaves now, so it's like they're "naked" - only the flower. We have a few, but I've never bothered to smell them - I'll have to go see how they smell!

chris_quilts 08-15-2011 07:39 PM

We called them "Mystery Lilies" because it was always a mystery as to where they were planted in the lawn. I have heard them called "Bella Donna Lilies" but am not sure the other gal was talking about the same thing as I was. I had lost hope of mine blooming until the rains came as it had been so dry here in Kansas.

BrendaY 08-15-2011 08:53 PM

Ours have already come and gone... they were beautiful this year.

BrendaY 08-15-2011 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by bluesnowdoe
I have some magic Lilys this is a picture from last year mine will bloom in Aug after it rains.they have bloomed and gone this year.I will try to send a picture

Yours are gorgeous.... thanks for the pics!

Marvel 08-16-2011 04:52 PM

You just brought back a lovely memory of a large drive around our home in Ca where the pink Naked Ladies grew in profusion. They are unforgetable.

RugosaB 08-16-2011 08:08 PM

When we bought our house 30 years ago, there was 1 already here, I've been dividing it over the years, and just yesterday counted 18 different spots where they deciding to come up!
We always called them 'Magic Lillies"

thrums 08-16-2011 09:37 PM

They're called pop-up lilies in Middle Tennessee.

This is the first summer I've actually seen blossoms. I planted them about 10 yrs ago but my grey pyr. kept laying on the spot after the leaves came out. Our pyr died a few years back...needless to say the flowers finally came up.

chris_quilts 08-17-2011 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by RugosaB
When we bought our house 30 years ago, there was 1 already here, I've been dividing it over the years, and just yesterday counted 18 different spots where they deciding to come up!We always called them 'Magic Lillies"

Inquiring minds want to know: When do you divide or tranplant them? I have several bunches that never bloom because of lack of water where they are and I'd like to transplant them to a better spot. Thanks in advance. ~ Chris

RugosaB 08-17-2011 08:39 AM

I marked where they were, and then in the fall I dug them up, after the flowers died. When you do, you'll see if it's time to divide them