Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   naked lady lily (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/naked-lady-lily-t145109.html)

chris_quilts 08-17-2011 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by RugosaB
I marked where they were, and then in the fall I dug them up, after the flowers died. When you do, you'll see if it's time to divide them

Thanks so much. I need to dig up the ones in front so the marking will have to wait til next spring when they leaf out again. Those are in a bad spot water-wise.

RugosaB 08-18-2011 06:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The naked lady on the left is one that was from a division last year, the one on the right hasn't been done in 7 years or so, and if I wanted to, is ready for division this fall. However, I can leave it there for years and it will be fine. It will divide and spread and get more stems like this one has

(we went through a lengthy period where the rainfall was minimal, that's why you see so many brown leaves. In my garden once the plants are established, they're on their own - no extra watering)

calla 08-18-2011 06:45 AM

Need a pic..............I don't know what they are...........calla

calla 08-18-2011 06:46 AM

Thanks Rugosa..............very nice........I need a cutting I will trade some angel wing seed...................calla in Mi

debcavan 08-18-2011 06:48 AM

I

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
Are these the one's called Resurrection Lily? In the spring you have large Daffodil like leaves, then then die - then when you think the stupid plant died up comes a stalk which grows several inches a day then out pops the Lily's?

yup. Here's mine :)

I get these. Some call them forgotten lillies. Mine have just shown up this past week and are really wonderful this year.

chris_quilts 08-18-2011 07:14 AM

Rugosa, thanks for the info. Mine that need transplanting are under the overhang from the lowest level of the split ranch home where they receive almost no water whatsoever. I don't water mine much but those poor things need to be where they can get water at mother nature's whims. Yours are beautiful, especially the big clump. Thanks again for info and pictures.

dublb 08-19-2011 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
We called them "Mystery Lilies" because it was always a mystery as to where they were planted in the lawn. I have heard them called "Bella Donna Lilies" but am not sure the other gal was talking about the same thing as I was. I had lost hope of mine blooming until the rains came as it had been so dry here in Kansas.

I've seen 'em called Bella Donna also!!

BigDog 08-19-2011 05:22 PM

Also called Resurrection Lilies. I have thousands of them. Last fall (after they bloomed), I transplanted hundreds of them and didn't make a dent. All the transplanted ones are blooming now.

They're called 'Naked Ladies' because when the bloom, there is no foliage whatsoever. The foliage is one of the first things to come up in the end of winter (usually late February), then it dies back and completely disappears. Suddenly, overnight in July/August, tall shoots literally shoot up and bloom; hence, Surprise Lilies.

The bulbs are quite large, and if you hack then while transplanting, it doesn't harm them.

chris_quilts 08-19-2011 05:24 PM

So you have beautiful weeds now like with irises when they like a spot or spots?