Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Non-quilting question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/non-quilting-question-t83927.html)

suern3 12-19-2010 02:56 PM

This won't help with your current jeans but, reminded me that when my DGS was little, Sears used to guarantee their jeans wouldn't get holes in the knees. If they did you could return them for a new pair. It had a certain time frame, which I don't remeber. Might be worth checking into , especially for those kids who are hard on their jeans.

MommaDorian 12-19-2010 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by suern3
This won't help with your current jeans but, reminded me that when my DGS was little, Sears used to guarantee their jeans wouldn't get holes in the knees. If they did you could return them for a new pair. It had a certain time frame, which I don't remeber. Might be worth checking into , especially for those kids who are hard on their jeans.

I was just telling my dh about this. Do you remember what it was called?

Shelbie 12-19-2010 02:59 PM

I seem to be patching jeans constantly. I keep a bag of patches of every colour of denim. I cut the patch about a half inch larger than the hole, round the corners and applique it right over the hole using a fairly dense zig-zag in a matching thread. My patches are often round or oval and they seem to wear well. Patching on top lasts longer and looks better than trying to put the patch underneath. I have the older Bernina 830 and it has an open arm which means you don't have to open any seams. My husband spilt battery acid down the leg of his brand new jeans leaving quarter sized holes. I patched every one (9 I think) and the lady at the bank told him someone must really love him to take the time to patch all those holes!

BellaBoo 12-19-2010 03:05 PM

Clover Embroidery Stitching Tool Glue - It will hold forever. I put a layer on a patch and glue from underneath the hole. The glue holds all the loose strings in place. It dries clear and not stiff.

CarrieAnne 12-19-2010 03:40 PM

Shopko used to do that too, not sure if they do anymore? I am always repairing DS's jeans, works in a mechanic shop, so he doesnt like buying new jeans, I just use old jeans and hand sew.

SuziC 12-19-2010 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by DebraK
I do jean on jean as well. I open the pant leg to do it, and I stitch that baby down good, then sew the leg back up.

I never thought to do that....thanks!

carhop 12-19-2010 04:15 PM

my son was always getting holes in his knees when he was little i used diffrent patches to cover them. my DH would make holes in the crotch and i whould darn them on the sewing machine they lasted the best

suern3 12-19-2010 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian

I don't recall that it had a particular name. They just told us about it while checking out. You might be able to call the childrens' department and ask, although sometimes get better results in person. Depends on who answers the phone, if they feel like checking. I'd like to know what you find out. :)

sewgull 12-19-2010 05:47 PM

Since ya'll are such a wonderful source of information, does anybody know how to patch jeans? My DD is really rough on her pants. I bought iron-on patches from Walmart. They don't stay on. I haven't even washed them yet and they are already peeling off. How can I get them to stay on?

Iron patches stay better if you wash the jeans first.
I patch the underside before putting patch on outside.
Use a scrap of fabric and iron onto under side of jeans using Wonder-under (or similar product). This reinforces with a soft touch on the skin.

MommaDorian 12-19-2010 06:07 PM

I don't recall that it had a particular name. They just told us about it while checking out. You might be able to call the childrens' department and ask, although sometimes get better results in person. Depends on who answers the phone, if they feel like checking. I'd like to know what you find out. :)

I figured it out. It's called Kidvantage. It's a Sears program that allows you to replace with the same item and size if they ever wear out. It doesn't just apply to jeans, its all children's clothing.