Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Non-quilting question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/non-quilting-question-t83927.html)

Marge L. 12-20-2010 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian
I wanted to stitch them on too, but the leg is too narrow. I'd have to take them apart to do that, but I'm not confident enough that I'd be able to get them back together. Then she'd be pantsless, considering jeans are all she'll wear.

Do you have an open arm on your machine? If so, use that. Iron the patch on and then stitch them on using your darning foot. That way you can go any direction needed. Good luck. I know how boys can go thru them as I had five. Problem was that at that time there were no open arm machines and darning feet were nearly non-existant.

MommaDorian 12-20-2010 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Marge L.
Do you have an open arm on your machine? If so, use that. Iron the patch on and then stitch them on using your darning foot. That way you can go any direction needed. Good luck. I know how boys can go thru them as I had five. Problem was that at that time there were no open arm machines and darning feet were nearly non-existant.

I do have an open arm machine, but the leg is still too narrow. These are size 7 girls jeans. lol

kathidahl 12-20-2010 05:10 PM

Opening the inseam is no big deal. Then you can patch or use an applique or whatever...

MommaDorian 12-20-2010 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by kathidahl
Opening the inseam is no big deal. Then you can patch or use an applique or whatever...

I ended up opening the inseam. Frustrating though, they have a triple seam. It took me forever to open it.

JustBonnie2 12-20-2010 05:35 PM

Ummm, why are you patching them? Kids BUY jeans with holes already in them at astonomical prices. They probably just got those jeans to where they are COOL! And you are trying to PATCH them???!!!

kathidahl 12-20-2010 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by JustBonnie2
Ummm, why are you patching them? Kids BUY jeans with holes already in them at astonomical prices. They probably just got those jeans to where they are COOL! And you are trying to PATCH them???!!!

LOL!!

ilovequilts 12-20-2010 05:41 PM

At my work, when they do jean repair, they take a piece of denim, put it under the rip, and zig zag stitch across both ways over the whole thing, always holds for me.

Abby'smom 12-20-2010 06:13 PM

I have had the same problem -- I then stitched down the patches on the machine -- they are holding thru several washings

MommaDorian 12-20-2010 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by JustBonnie2

Not for my 7 yo. lol I prefer she wait a few years before she's wearing jeans with holes in them.

catlover 12-20-2010 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dina
I always iron them on and them stitch them all around the outside.

My husband is terrible about wearing holes in his jeans. I iron on the patch then do my best to use the sewing machine to go around all the edges. He looks like he's wearing scarecrow jeans. Yes, sometimes it does take hand sewing. :-(

Cynthia