Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Oh No..Big Problem! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/oh-no-big-problem-t84116.html)

Ditter43 12-20-2010 12:08 PM

We have been working on updating our hall bathroom. Today was to be the day we installed the new toilet and sink.
The toilet did seem to want to seat right and my DH had to pull it back off the part in the floor. When he did, the pipe going down into the ground broke and came out with it!
Now we have to get a plumber to come out and replace that pipe! It will be a major job and not cheap I am sure! When we looked at the pipe where it broke, you could see it had been cracked, probably for years! It has possibly been that way since the house was constructed 20 years ago.
About 15 years ago we had to spend a small fortune because termites had come in behind that toilet. I now think the toilet has been seeping water for years and that's what attracted the termites.
Oh happy day...I don't think that bathroom will ever get finished! :|

Murphy 12-20-2010 12:10 PM

Isn't construction frustrating. You get one thing fixed and the next is there to be done; but, in the end, it will be beautiful. Keep the faith; it will all work out.

PMY in QCA-IL 12-20-2010 12:12 PM

Hope you have another bathroom in your house! I dread needing to get work done in our bathroom since we only have one. We need the flooring replaced, a new sink and cabinet and would really like an elevated (handicapped) toilet. Need to coordinate work with good weather so we can use our camper's bathroom.

maryb119 12-20-2010 12:13 PM

Remodeling is so much fun...Hahaha! Each thing turns to something else that needs to be done. When we remodeled the bathrooom on the main floor of the house, the contractor had to tear out the ceiling in the bedroom in the basement to get to the pipes. We had 2 sections of the house torn uup instead of just one. It was worth it when it was done.

scowlkat 12-20-2010 12:15 PM

Around my house, we refer to it as home DEstruction because that is how it always ends up! And I definitely sympathize about the fortune spent on termites! Have been through that ourselves.

Hope it is an easier fix than you anticipate. By the way, since you are the queen of laughs, can we refer to this as toilet humor? (Sorry!)

suebee 12-20-2010 12:29 PM

My Gosh, never fails eh? Hang in there.

amma 12-20-2010 12:33 PM

So sorry to hear this :(

buslady 12-20-2010 12:37 PM

We replaced the floor under ours shortly after moving in some 30 years ago, my DH was having trouble getting the bolt out, so in his infinate wisdome, decided to "tap" it with a hammer. Guess what? New toilet. LOL

barbsmith 12-20-2010 01:07 PM

So sorry to hear about your plumbing problem.

sueisallaboutquilts 12-20-2010 02:27 PM

I hate bathrooms!!!!!!!!!!