Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   other names for grandma (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/other-names-grandma-t263219.html)

jeanne49 03-29-2015 06:28 PM

My mother was Nana, something she requested, my sister is Mom-Mom, I was a first time grandmother in July 2013, I am called Grandmom, and I'm going to be a grandmother again this July

solstice3 03-29-2015 07:36 PM

Mimi, Nana, or as a friend once did..."Mum". She said if it was good enough for the queen of England, it was good enough for her! I will be a first time Grandmother any day and I keep telling my daughter the baby will call me Goddess. 😄

KarenSimon 03-29-2015 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 7143389)
My DH family has so many nicknames for the grandmas. Mimi is what all the grandkids call his mom. He called both of his grandmothers Bing. Apparently the oldest sibling started it. He couldn't pronounce grandma but how he came up with Bing is beyond me. Eons ago my boss was Dutch and when he brought his mother over to visit, everyone called her Oma. For the longest time I thought that was actually her name. It wasn't until much later I learned it was dutch for grandma. I always liked Oma both the person and the term.

Germans also use Oma and Opa.

MarthaT 03-30-2015 06:24 AM

Didn't take time to read all the posts so this may be a repeat, but friends of mine called their grandmother named Kathrine, "Kakie". I thought that was kind of cute. Thought that might work for Cathy also. My grands call me Ma'amMaw, since one set already had a MomMaw and the others already had a MeMaw. I kind of wanted Nana, but they said I wasn't a Nana.

tessagin 03-30-2015 06:38 AM

I get called Gran, Grandma, Gma, Gamma T, different by each one. I told one of the DGDs as long as you call me, I'll be happy to answer, "Yes, Sweetheart". Most times it's Hi, Grandma. I'm good no matter what. If they're in a room with another grandmother, and mention me, they say Gamma T. congratulation on your future title. Life is "GRAND"!

tessagin 03-30-2015 06:40 AM

My girlfriend is also German and is called Oma and DH is Opa.

Originally Posted by KarenSimon (Post 7146527)
Germans also use Oma and Opa.

Katie 03-30-2015 10:14 AM

23 years ago I was thinking all the same things - I was only 35 when he was born and thought I was much to young to be called Grandma - I sat at the hospital while my DIL was in labor and thought of all the names I could be called, but when I first laid eyes on him I would not have cared if he would want to call me Mudpie I would answer and be happy. I now have 15 grandchildren and 4 great grandchildren - they call me what they want - the older ones call me Grandma and the rest call me Ninnie'

kathome 03-30-2015 10:30 AM

It's easy in my case because my DIL is Hispanic. So her mother is "Abuela" and I am "Grandma"!! Easy peasy.

Geri B 03-30-2015 10:51 AM

My mil was Nani to my children ( Sicilian), and I became Nani to my dgds, DH was grumpa.....story is, he was crabby one day when youngest grand was over and I laughingly called him grumpa that day and it stuck! Now there are 3 gg and I am Nani to all.........sadly grumpa is no longer with us.........and I guess Nani will no longer be after I am gone too.........

Julielhs 03-30-2015 12:09 PM

I love being called Grannie