Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Pet Peeves (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/pet-peeves-t46726.html)

Conniequilts 07-14-2010 03:36 PM

Thank you Patrice. I was thinking of leaving the board for fear of not titling my topics correctly or leaving an offensive response.

Also, I was discussing this matter with another lady who I have been encouraging to join this site. After hearing about this thread she is no longer sure she wants to join.

lfw045 07-14-2010 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Conniequilts
Thank you Patrice. I was thinking of leaving the board for fear of not titling my topics correctly or leaving an offensive response.

Also, I was discussing this matter with another lady who I have been encouraging to join this site. After hearing about this thread she is no longer sure she wants to join.

That's a shame.

Woodster 07-14-2010 03:53 PM

I don't know - I kind of agree with the dishwasher thing!

patricej 07-14-2010 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Conniequilts

tell her to check the home page. we have a bazillion members. topics like this attract only a few. also, if you read through this one you'll discover that we aren't all wearing our cranky pants. :lol:

encourage her to do what i do. when somebody is being a horse's patoot, i roll my eyes and put them in my mental "people who don't count" column.

i promise - that column is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay shorter than the "people i wish lived next door to me" column. ;-)

thismomquilts 07-14-2010 05:50 PM

My pet peeve is when others don't like what someone else has said and aren't very nice about it. Rudeness is wrong.

patricej 07-15-2010 03:13 AM

valid point, to be sure.

the challenge?

get 10 people in one room.

now try to get all 10 to accept the same definition of "rude".

good luck with that. :lol:

Ditter43 07-15-2010 06:49 AM

[quote=Eddie]
4. One word responses, such as "nice". That's only 4 letters. I mean, c'mon. Would you say that to a person who showed you their quilt in person? "Nice."

O.K. I am sooo guilty of this. With so many posters and so many pictures, I want to acknowledge that I looked and appreciated their efforts. Which is worse, a one word response or no response at all? One word responses to my posts don't bother me, but I will try to do better for those it does bother.
I love this board and don't have any serious complaints.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

patricej 07-15-2010 07:05 AM

keep the peeves in perspective.

Eddie, for example, makes a good point.
On the other hand, your question also illustrates a good point.

i often do the one-word compliment myself. usually, it's because i can't think of anything new to add or can't think of anything more original to say. sometimes it's because i'm in a rush.

i'm just happy to get compliments. i don't worry about the number of words.

my point being that even when a point is valid; even when it inspires us to do something in a different way; we most often don't need to be embarrassed because we're "guilty" or to worry about it. ;-)

KathyAire 07-15-2010 04:17 PM

I don't have a pet peeve, I love this board. If there is something I don't like, I go on to the next thing. It's like when people complain about what's on TV -- turn it off and don't watch it.

Basically, I think we are one big, happy family. We are blessed.

patricej 07-16-2010 12:50 AM

seriously. where else can you party with so many friends without having to get out of your chair?

it's the best deal in town. :thumbup: