Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Pet Peeves (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/pet-peeves-t46726.html)

Butterflyblue 05-24-2010 06:59 AM

Like many others, my biggest pet peeve is vague titles - not only can you not tell if its something you'd be interested in before clicking and wasting time waiting for it to load, etc, but also later it's hard to remember which threads I've read and which I haven't.

And when I send someone something, even just some extra scraps - I took time and money to mail them, is a simple note saying "I got it" too much to ask?

Maride 05-24-2010 07:11 AM

When someone post a question and the first few answers are "I don't know" or "Can't help you"

Quilter7x 05-24-2010 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad
1.Waiting for the little google ads to finish downloading.
2.Waiting for several pictures in the first posting of a thread to download.
Sorry I have dialup and although it's rather fast tonight, sometimes things just take too long to download to view. Often even posting a reply takes a long time.

We gave up on our phone company when 97% of our state had high speed, but we live in the 3% area that didn't. Went with the cable company and, at 3 years later, high speed STILL isn't available in my little 3% area of the state!

Is it possible for you to switch to another carrier so you can have high speed? At this point in the technology world, you almost have to have it because there are so many graphics and pictures. We're paying about the same thing for high speed as we were for dial-up.

Sorry for getting off topic. As for pet peeves, my pet peeve has been mentioned here already. It can be difficult to read when punctuation isn't used. Although I am not the best at writing and I do make typos, I truly appreciate well written English.

Minda 05-24-2010 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Maride
When someone post a question and the first few answers are "I don't know" or "Can't help you"

I've often wondered why people even reply if they can't answer the question. I guess just to increase the amount of posts they make.

Lneal 05-24-2010 07:39 PM

I can't agree more on this one! These responses make me wonder why they have bothered to reply, since the one asking the question was not asking for blank answers! :-D :-D

EllaBud 05-24-2010 08:48 PM

My first pet peeve are the stupid pictures that are posted on the Board that are supposedly "funny". I don't consider them funny, but extremely annoying and a total waste of my time reading them because the topic happened to have an interesting title.

My second peeve are those people who get off the topic onto some far off thing. Totally off the subject fluff and another waste of reading time.

DebraK 05-24-2010 09:25 PM

She says with a big smile, you all need to stop petting your peeves.

bearisgray 05-24-2010 10:18 PM

I'm glad the topic was brought up.

Gramof6 05-24-2010 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Minda

I've often wondered why people even reply if they can't answer the question. I guess just to increase the amount of posts they make.

I have to disagree about the post count. I have seen posts & have made a few myself that I cannot answer their question or offer advice, but I did want to compliment them on their work. I never even thought that this might be a pet peeve to anyone.

patricej 05-24-2010 11:37 PM

i have many pet peeves. the one that drives me highest up the wall?

pet peeves. :hunf:

from the very begining, we have more than merely a quilting board. we are a community of people who have come together because of our common love of quilting.
thankfully, most of us are guided by common sense and an understanding of tolerance, decency, and universally accepted standards of behavior. but we come from all around the world; from all walks of life. we range from filthy rich to dirt poor. from degreed scholars to barely educated. we have religious fanatics, fanatically anti-religious, and everything in between. politically, we range from the lunatic left to the radical right. some are delicate flowers who are horrified by any word as strong as "heck"; allergic to everything; afraid of everything. others are laid back; rebellious; devil-may-care. some members are private by nature. others feel compelled to share every gruesome, depressing detail of every disease and disaster they have either experienced or heard about. some are here to focus primarily on quilting. others are here primarily for the social experience. we may very well be all but the only contact some members have with the outside world.

a certain tone has begun to spread through the board lately that i find very disturbing. it's a fungus among us. in less than a week, i've seen an alarming number of topics started by members judging each other on manners, intelligence, deportment, etc. for cryin' out loud ... there's a topic were people are judging each other on the way they judge each other! :shock:

do i have pet peeves? you bet. do i sometimes open a post and want to scream in frustration? yes. in fact, i sometimes make impolite comments as i read. for the most part, though, i keep it to myself!

i am getting pms from people who see themselves in your complaints. they are embarrassed. some have even asked me to delete their posts because they think they've committed some horrible social crime.

how many wonderful human beings will leave the board because they now believe they are not welcome here? how many potential members will be turned off and turn away because of topics like this?

if you have a pet peeve you have some choices:
1. speak to a Senior Moderator, providing specifics and links to allegedly offending posts. if they constitute genuine violations of board policy or a drastic departure from commonly accepted standards of behavior we will deal with them.
2. make all the nasty, judgemental comments you like - to your monitor. but step away from the keyboard.
3. complain privately amongst yourselves with likeminded members by pm, email, phone or over coffee. just keep it out of the public forum.
4. dial 1-800-GETOVERYOURSELF