Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Still rather shocked (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/still-rather-shocked-t164029.html)

grammyof4 10-29-2011 06:08 AM

i hope you told her NO

Glassquilt 10-29-2011 06:12 AM

You don't have to talk to everybody that calls. Perhaps a good friend could call back/answer 'those' calls.

Don't think I'd change my number - too many friends know it. I'd have to contact them & I couldn't possibly remember them all.

We have caller ID, an answering machine and, with our TV service, see the number on the screen. Many times the caller hangs up after 3-5 rings, sometimes when they hear the machine and very rarely leave a message. They are obviously not worth my trouble.

True friends leave a message & number and I will call back.

lillybeck 10-29-2011 06:23 AM

My sister recently lost her DH also and so many people keep asking me how much money she got. Well, I tell them I do not know because it is none of my business. It is sad how people suddenly appear when they think they can get something for nothing.

nnwalton2 10-29-2011 06:42 AM

I have found this to be very true and it has happened to us - when people think you have money or items, they are your best friend. If you are having hard times - you have no friends. If you don't want to come right out and say "no". Then always tell anyone that you have to consult with your kids and let it go at that.
The good thing that came out of that phone call is that now you know what type of friend she is and always be careful.
Best of luck to you and your children as you move to a new time in your lives.

Stitchit123 10-29-2011 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by brenda90159
Boy that took brass "balls" sorry for your loss.

I was thinking the same thing--

joyce888 10-29-2011 06:51 AM

WOW - this sounds so weird! I'm afraid my curiosity would get the best of me and I would have to ask around about her.

grannypat7925 10-29-2011 07:11 AM

Beware of people like this. She is hoping to take advantage of you! There is an old saying..........neither borrower nor lender be!

polly13 10-29-2011 07:32 AM

I am so sorry you had to receive such a phone call. You must have thought how thoughtful of her at first. Thank goodness your good sense kicked in as her conversation continued. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It's another of life's lessons that we are learning from our Board friends. May you and your children continue to have the wisdom to make wise decisions throughout this most difficult time.

kathyjg 10-29-2011 07:50 AM

OMG, desperate for money or not, she still is pretty darn ballsy!! Makes you wonder how many other people she called using information about you that she found out through her job. I would definitely report her to someone--she may not be working now but she may once again work in the field. Maybe your real estate agent? I know ours has a favorite broker she uses most of the time.

ewecansew 10-29-2011 07:56 AM

We recently had someone want us to buy an older mobile home (40 years old) and then hold a mortgage for them. NO. Some people are just ballsy.