Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Succesful Dieting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/succesful-dieting-t34186.html)

Lisanne 01-15-2010 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by janRN
Lneal: First off, I gain 5lbs everytime I look at your avatar!!

Good point! I get a craving for a banana split whenever I see it.

By the way, a great website and message board for weight loss info & support is http://www.3fatchicks.com

Any balanced weight-loss diet is fine for losing weight. The trick is getting yourself to stick to it, which is my biggest (no pun intended) problem.

The cabbage soup diet is meant to be a short jump-start to a diet, not something you stay on for more than a week. The cabbage soup itself is a very healthy dish, by the way, lots of veggies.

The diet I use when I'm being good works very well and keeps you well nourished, too. Here it is:

A. 5 - 9 servings of vegetables and fruits each day
--- At least 3 vegetables should be eaten for every 2 fruits.
--- Limit starchy vegetables, such as potatoes and corn, to 1 serving/day.
--- Use a wide range of veggies, not just the same few.

B. Limit protein to 25% of your calories per day, or to 2 - 3 4 oz. servings.
--- Meats should be 90% lean or better (lean ground beef, lean cuts of steak such as flank steak, lean ground turkey, white meat of the chicken or turkey, etc.)
--- Have fish at least twice a week.
--- Try to have beans, lentils and other plant-based proteins several times a week, or even better, most of the time.

C. Limit fat to 25% of your calories per day.

D. Limit carbs from grains, starches, sugars and processed foods to 50% of your calories. (Vegetables & fruits are carbs and must be counted with this, but you can go over this limit with veggies.)
--- At least one grain serving/day should be whole grain. (The experts would say they all should be, but we don't all eat that way and hey, weight-loss dieting is hard enough.)

E. Keep hydrated - water is best.

F. Limit the calories, but it has been found that super low is not good.

G. Nothing is forbidden, but plan for your treats and work them into your daily limits.

H. Physical activity is important. Even if you can't work out or don't want to, get in at least 20 minutes of some kind of moderate exercise or activity daily. It can be in 5 minute blocks if necessary. It can be walking, housecleaning, whatever. Of course, the more you do, the faster you'll lose weight. Ideally, you should break a sweat and get the heart rate up.

Lisanne 01-15-2010 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
I have, to date since March 1, 2009, lost over 100 pounds. The picture in my avatar was the end of May, about 40 lbs down from my starting weight of nearly 300 lbs.

Congratulations! Can we get you to post before & after pictures?

I started my diet (again) yesterday. Actually, after lunch, since I had to have a last meal of fried food with a chocolate shake. Worked out at the so-called gym in my apartment complex and only made it through 10 minutes with a break almost every minute. I had no idea I'd gotten that out of shape. Can't walk much because of bad knees, but that should get eaiser once I'm carrying less weight.

bj 01-15-2010 07:59 AM

Lots of good advice. I've struggled with weight most of my adult life. And it's starting to make my knees and feet fall apart. So, glad this thread is going. I'm starting my new diet now. I'm 5'2.5" and weigh 235 lbs.

Jim's Gem 01-15-2010 11:15 AM

Charlee, that is so wonderful. I am at where you were. I've taken off about 15 lbs since September, that's adding back the 1 lb I added on for Christmas.
My knees are hurting and I'm afraid that someday I will have to do a knee replacement. I can't walk very far because of the pain. Tho, I think I may have a torn meniscus in my right knee, I'll get it checked out when I closer to finishing up with my shoulder.
I need to lose over 130 lbs. Just having a tough time doing it!!

marsye 01-15-2010 11:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Lneal
, change your avatar to a carrot

Hope this helps!!! LOL!! I have lost 6lbs I need to lose 20!! I feel like I'm taking baby steps.

amma 01-15-2010 11:33 AM

I have been on a diet for 40 years... I made changes in how I shopped and prepared food (low cholestrol) and slowly adapted into a diabetics diet.. (didn't know it at the time) and it has helped me to maintain a healthy weight.
IMHO you need carbs for energy...and the whole grains do help with that, it is what you put on the carbs that is calorie laden :wink: I can eat white rice, a little meat and veggies, and I am hungry a couple of hours later. If I eat brown basmati rice instead, it stays with me for atleast 4 hours. The same with white versus a heavier wheat bread. It took me a while to get used to the different tastes and textures, but it has really paid off.
Some of the light tomato sauces in Italian cookbooks are really good and healthy. Chopped tomatoes and herbs and it is not a heavy thick sauce, nor do you cover the noodles as heavily, but you get a good flavor and it fills you up.
I have tried all of the fad diets, and my weight would jump back up again... The cabbage soup diet can be a great way to start out, it can help shrink your stomach some so that you don't need to eat as much.
Also starting your meal with a cup of veggie soup will help fill you up, with very few calories. :D:D:D

janRN 01-15-2010 11:42 AM

Love the new avatar. (not really!!)

You guys are great. What helpful advice you give. My biggest problem is "picking"--all day and all evening. Boredom? Probably. I've been doing puzzles, sewing, etc., to keep my hands and mind busy but...
Amma, you're right about the whole grains filling you up but it's hard to get used to the taste; okay with bread but I can't do brown rice or pasta.
These are reallly great suggestions. If someone has ANY suggestions to help with the picking (or "grazing"-I feel like cow!!) please post.
Lneal-thanks for starting this thread.

janRN 01-15-2010 11:42 AM

Love the new avatar. (not really!!)

You guys are great. What helpful advice you give. My biggest problem is "picking"--all day and all evening. Boredom? Probably. I've been doing puzzles, sewing, etc., to keep my hands and mind busy but...
Amma, you're right about the whole grains filling you up but it's hard to get used to the taste; okay with bread but I can't do brown rice or pasta.
These are reallly great suggestions. If someone has ANY suggestions to help with the picking (or "grazing"-I feel like cow!!) please post.
Lneal-thanks for starting this thread.

Honey 01-15-2010 11:55 AM

I, too, have struggled with my weight most of my life. The diabetic diet is the easiest because it is a lifestyle change not really a diet. To keep from picking, I keep my hands busy EVERY TIME I sit down. Lost 52 pounds over the last year. I still have a long way to go, but at least I'm headed in the rite direction. I even lost over the holidays! This doesn't keep you from eathing things it just tells you how much of everything you can eat to keep a balance.

2Precious4U 01-15-2010 12:12 PM

Thanks Charlee, I'm going to check it out. I only have about l5 lbs to lose and have been excercising for the last two weeks and need more help. Congrats on the weight loss. Keep up the good work.