Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Turning on the Heat (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/turning-heat-t153894.html)

Judiw 09-18-2011 10:20 AM

We burn wood here in an outdoor furnace and my husband started it last Friday. We do have a propane fireplace and regular propane furnace but try not to overdo using that. It was down to 28* in the am and in the 50's during the daytime. Supposedly going to be a little warmer this week. Normally the big furnace doesn't get started until Oct. 15th or thereabouts. Hate to be cold...or too warm either. We went from AC to heat in a couple weeks.

mayme 09-18-2011 10:24 AM

DH turned the heat on one morning this week. I turned it down and built a small fire in the wood stove which I did a few mornings this week.

lynnie 09-18-2011 10:26 AM

i live on Long Island NY and REFUSE to turn on the heat till Nov. My dh on the other hand is a wimp when it comes to being cold. he wants it on no matter what. i tell him, i'm a quilter, use the talent that god gave me.

orangeroom 09-18-2011 10:26 AM

We like our home 70* year round. We live in upstate NY, just below Lake Ontario. Our heat has been on a few times at night already.

Grannymom 09-18-2011 10:43 AM

guess you don't want to hear that it's 82 beautiful degrees... puffy clouds, breeze, ...

I can put up with 3 months of high electric bills (@ $242 for AC), a whole lot better than a $400 gas bill for 8 or 9....

our TOTAL LP cost last winter was something like $365 and that includes the $50 yearly tank rental.

AlwaysQuilting 09-18-2011 10:55 AM

I refuse to turn the heat on until I've paid off the a/c bills. So that means Nov 1 usually.
Is there anywhere on earth where it stays comfortable temp night and day and they don't need heaters or a/c??? I want to move there.

MiniatureQuilts 09-18-2011 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Grannymom
guess you don't want to hear that it's 82 beautiful degrees... puffy clouds, breeze, ...

I can put up with 3 months of high electric bills (@ $242 for AC), a whole lot better than a $400 gas bill for 8 or 9....

our TOTAL LP cost last winter was something like $365 and that includes the $50 yearly tank rental.

I lived down south of the Mason Dixon line for 20 years with my Navy husband. I found those beautiful autumn temps came with temperatures and unbearable (to the big wuss - me!!) humidity in the long summers - way too much above my tolerance point. I lived in Virginia Beach and Tampa. I am a WUSS when it comes to humidity and heat - I really would take our 2 to 3 inches of snow an hour before those southern climates. You can always pile clothes on, but there are only so many clothes you can take off! :)

irishrose 09-18-2011 11:32 AM

AlwaysQuilting, the only place I know that fits your criteria is San Diego, CA. It has the most temperate climate I've seen.

My heat is on. I can't stand to be cold when I'm indoors. It's not as high as I'd like, but 70 during the day and 64 overnight is doable.

hobbykat1955 09-18-2011 12:44 PM

We broke down and put heat on 2 days ago...Between the cold and the damp, neithe of us could stand it anymore...With the price of Oil going up, husband keeps a tally yr from yr and it cost us 2000 more then the previous yr...God only knows what the high prices will do to us this yr.

TexasSunshine 09-18-2011 12:50 PM

We are still running the AC, still in the high 80's.