Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Turning on the Heat (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/turning-heat-t153894.html)

Pam B 09-18-2011 12:51 PM

We are in central IN. Last May, we went from needing our furnace one day to needing the a/c the next. I swear, two weeks ago, the exact opposite happened! We, however, have not yet turned on our furnace. In fact, we just were just talking about how we need to get the furnace guy out to do yearly check and cleaning one of these days. I always say I am going to wait till Nov 1 but it is generally closer to mid-Oct. We do have a couple small auxiallary heaters (one in the lvg room and one in our bathroom). I absolutely cannot stand a cold bathroom! Hopefully, it will warm back up into the mid0-70s for the next few weeks! What a weather year!

Granny Quilter 09-18-2011 01:28 PM

The high here yesterday was 60. But right now I have had my swamp cooler on for about an hour. Getting cold, so I need to turn it off.

blueangel 09-18-2011 01:31 PM

We haven't got through paying for a high electric bill and I don't want to start paying for gas yet.

quilter68 09-18-2011 01:33 PM

Growing up we had a coal furnace in the (basement) cellar. That is not something to be started up early in the fall. What I remember the most was the mornings when my Mother would turn on the kitchen oven and it was so warm getting dressed. This kept the furnace off for at least a month. Never had air-conditioning. BTW, if you are renting the landlord has to put the heat on from 10/15 to 5/15.

I own so use whatever I want.

CoyoteQuilts 09-18-2011 01:33 PM

Hey miniturequilt! I so remember the days. I have family in the Homer area and I was in Groton until my warm move to AZ..... Sorry, I don't miss the days :)

MiniatureQuilts 09-18-2011 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
Hey miniturequilt! I so remember the days. I have family in the Homer area and I was in Groton until my warm move to AZ..... Sorry, I don't miss the days :)

GORGEOUS area you are in!! Been through AZ a couple times and loved the scenery, but it was also in the winter, so no need to deal with high temps. I am just a first class wuss when it comes to higher temperatures. Summer in upstate NY should be having to put a sweatshirt on in the evening...........I love it that way!

Maggiemay 09-18-2011 02:52 PM

I am not one to suffer so I would turn on the heat too! Not that I need it too much here, but we did live in Syracuse for 4 yrs before we moved here so I understand! The Finger Lakes region of NY is one of the prettiest places I know of & in the fall is so beautiful it can take your breath away! We loved Skaneateles!

jrharry 09-18-2011 05:11 PM

No need to turn on the heat in California! I live about 3 hrs north of Sacramento and its 6:00 P.M. and 94 degrees. Opening deer season this weekend and just to hot. We are all electric so the bill is very expenses in the summer with the a/c $650 in July and $595 in August, plus we have a pool. We have a wood stove for the winter so the bill is very low. One year it was 116 in the summer and then 10 below with wind chill factor in the winter. Other than being an expensive place to live its a beautiful area.

mom-6 09-18-2011 06:34 PM

One reason I liked living on Guam was the temperature range - low 68, high 88. Of course there was the humidity, but the sea breeze was delightful.

Lady-T 09-19-2011 03:00 AM

At 65° we still have the windows open! :)
We heat with wood and don't build our first fire of the season until December.
Then we only stoke it until around 3:00 or 4:00 in the afternoon....let it die out. We like it cool for sleeping.
In the coldest winters, we awaken to temps of 50° IN the house!
Good way to get you "Up & Movin" every morning!!