Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Turning on the Heat (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/turning-heat-t153894.html)

FroggyinTexas 09-19-2011 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by MiniatureQuilts
It's a challenge we play up here every year. Snow can actually fall in September and we had 3 MAJOR snowstorms up until Memorial Day just a few years back. My sister-in-law refuses to turn it on until Oct. 1st - I am weak and I caved. The overnight temperature was about 34 and the daytime high barely into the 60's. The house got down to 65 degrees and I turned the heat on.......
From Skaneateles Lake - the most beautiful of the Finger Lakes...people don't expect the state of NY to be so cold and snowy. We get Lake Effect snow from 2 of the Great Lakes.

What does being weak have to do with being cold? Our cavemen ancestors built a fire when it got cold; shouldn't we have that much sense? froggyintexas

gotta-sew 09-19-2011 01:19 PM

froggyintexas, you are so right. Although I can usually make it until the end of October before the furnace comes on. If I get cold.....you bet I will flip the switch. But so far my AC is still needed. We often have what they call an Indian Summer. My reluctance to the furnace is mearly not wanting to give in to winter as yet. Shall I share...I hold off turning on the AC in the spring as well. I love that brief time when we need neither.

a1crafter 09-19-2011 02:19 PM

What is a swamp cooler? I've heard that term before, but never knew what it was.

shnnn 09-19-2011 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by a1crafter
What is a swamp cooler? I've heard that term before, but never knew what it was.

it pumps water over pads then pulls air through them - works great here where we have basically no humidity - not so well in the damper areas

gah! was 38 this am -- according to my nifty thermomenometer it was 93 when I picked the kids up from school -- I dislike this time of year

darlene37 09-19-2011 02:54 PM

I don't know when I will put the heat on. I usually have the heat at 60 or 62 all winter. It's not so hard to wear a sweatshirt. My hubby has a few quilts if he gets that cold.

Sadiemae 09-19-2011 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by shnnn

Originally Posted by a1crafter

it pumps water over pads then pulls air through them - works great here where we have basically no humidity - not so well in the damper areas

gah! was 38 this am -- according to my nifty thermomenometer it was 93 when I picked the kids up from school -- I dislike this time of year

We use swamp coolers here too, but I need a new water line.

dogpursemaker 09-19-2011 04:21 PM

Growing up our furnace was not lit until there was frost on the ground, no ifs, ands or buts. I HATED it. I swore when I grew up I would never be cold in my own home, and I've kept that promise to myself. My house is NEVER below 74-hubby has learned it is so much easier to pay the bill than live with a cold, cranky wife.

Yes, our heater is on, and has been randomly on since August.

ShabbyTabby 09-19-2011 04:54 PM

We are still using the A/C here in Vegas....today was about 98 which is cooler than it has been. We actually had a fairly mild summer for us...the highest temp was 110. We usually don't need the heater until almost Christmas.

dljennings 09-19-2011 04:56 PM

we keep our house @ 60 degrees during the week and 65 on the weekend... cause we're cheap..., oops, i mean frugal

Anna.425 09-19-2011 05:30 PM

We try to wait until October 15th before we turn on the furnace. We didn't make it last year and it is day by day this year. Last year I knocked on DDs room and when she opened her door I found that she had purchased a space heater. :)