Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   WalMart sales down & why (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/walmart-sales-down-why-t66179.html)

redkimba 09-23-2010 11:00 AM

OK, I'll bite, what is paraffin oil for?[/quote]

Paraffin oil is used for oil lamps. I use it for emergencies, ie the electricity going out. I also like to use those in my house once in a while.

bobbie1 09-23-2010 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by QBeth

Originally Posted by raptureready
I wrote them and told them I was done shopping there. When I can't buy I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, regular popcorn, popcorn oil, 10w30 Penzoil in 5 qts, and Cambell's Double Noodle soup because the shelves are bare there's something wrong. I told them that to reduce my stress level I was going to do my grocery shopping at Meijer's from now on. Since they don't have fabric and can't stock their shelves they must not need my money and I definately don't need their aggravation.

I wonder if they know just how much business they're losing because some people, i.e., quilters, go there primarily for sewing needs and, while there, might buy other things. But, no sewing stuff, no shopper. Get it, WalMart?!!

Totally agree!!

bobbie1 09-23-2010 11:04 AM

GROSS!!!

MaggieLou 09-23-2010 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by mochasue
I must be the only person who has never shopped at Walmart!

You haven't missed a thing but the aggravation from not enough parking to not enough cashiers. Even though they have 40 registers they only have 3 open.

akrogirl 09-23-2010 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
people are low on money because the jobs are scarce.
Jobs are scarce because factories are going overseas.
Factories are going overseas so they can make things cheaper
People want cheaper things because they are low on money.

And no one sees the connection.

Exactly! Management thinking is so short sighted. If they don't provide decent jobs in their own country, who do they think is going to be able to afford to buy their products?

ptquilts 09-23-2010 12:28 PM

one Christmas, Jay Leno said,
"this year I am buying gifts crafted by children in third world countries..... Oh, OK, I'm shopping at WalMart."

echoemb 09-24-2010 04:44 AM

I run a concession stand and buy burrito seasonings from WM but about every other week, no seasonings. I now buy whatever is on the shelf when I go in a stock up. Somebody told my mom that that they put on the shelf whatever they have but they only stock once a month so once they run out that is it. Seems like an odd policy to me. I have also noticed alot of floor space at our local WM which means they have less items. I don't feel sorry for them. they have put alot of good companies out of business and then were cocky thinking we couldn't live without them. Well, news flash we can. There is a new store in town (Denver) which is taking on Sam's Club/WM. You can buy bulk cheaper with no membership fees and I've started going there for my business purchases.

Tussymussy 09-24-2010 05:38 AM

Walmart are in the UK and known as Asda. They are considered second rate as they are scruffier and carry lots of cheaper brands and loads of fast foot and not enough stock so that those of us that still cook can buy the ingredients. Sadly they have never including anything to do with quilting. But we can buy loads of cheap clothing that has been made for virtually nothing in the third world.

Sadly, food prices are going up all over the world. You are very lucky in the USA that your food, gas and other utilities are much cheaper than they are elsewhere. It is almost worth flying over to you with several empty suitcases to stock up. Consider..... there are approx 1.78 $ to the £. Someone in this thread stated they pay $3 for a gallon of milk. The cheapest I can find that amount anywhere here is £3 a gallon. Our gas is about 2.4 times more per litre than yours. As for electricity and heating - don't ask. it would scare you.

I understand why you are groaning, but I guess the whole world is groaning too. One newspaper report stated recently that in the UK we expect our food bill to be 10% of our income nowadays, yet only 20 years ago it was 20% of our income. Food is cheaper today than it ever has been, it is just that the numbers have gone up!

Dodie 09-24-2010 05:43 AM

I to am sick of WalMart they have rearranged there stores here and put things in such stupid places that they are next to impossible to find uless you feel like walking a mile back and forth across the store I use to do all of my shopping there truly one stop not true anymore fabric gone along with all the brands I bought now I go to Costco and shop sale items at our local store no more WalMart for me

ptquilts 09-24-2010 06:18 AM

Now that the population (hey that's US) is aging, why don't businesses realize we DON'T like it when stores are arbitrarily changed around and rearranged.