Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Weight loss challenge with a prize.........Aug sign up (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/weight-loss-challenge-prize-aug-sign-up-t56679.html)

nikki128 08-01-2010 08:54 AM

I'm so excited to be a part of this with so many people. Go us!

Cheriefaye2008 08-01-2010 09:20 AM

I understood you Trupeach. Missygirl and Thequilteddove- I don't follow a specific "program" or record my food intake anymore, but maybe I should start. I do however follow the tips and tricks in "The Lickety-Split Diabetic Cookbook" This is a really good book to read when you want to lose weight. I'm not a diabetic but I do have problems with low blood sugar and diabetes runs in my family, so I worry that I'm heading for it if I don't get my weight under control. The book is half recipes, and half guide to healthier lifestyle and eating. She's got great tips on portion sizes, how to get started with an exercise program, and how to get extra fiber and fruits and vegetables in your diet. The author is a registered dietician, so she knows what she's talking about, but the book doesn't read like a cookbook or weight loss manual to me. It's kind of like a pep talk on every page. LOL. The recipes are really yummy and she gives great suggestions on what to serve with each recipe to keep it balanced and healthy. I still prepare A LOT of the menus from the book. The whole family enjoys them. You don't have to buy any expensive or specialty foods to follow them. I followed this "program" for 2 months along with a lot of exercise and lost 40#s but when we went on vacation last summer I kind of got away from the exercise part of it.

jacie 08-01-2010 09:28 AM

ok, so I put my weight number in an envelope, now I need a persons addy to send it to for August? I like the choice of fabrics.......apples will be nice to find....jacie

MissyGirl 08-01-2010 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Cheriefaye2008
I understood you Trupeach. Missygirl and Thequilteddove- I don't follow a specific "program" or record my food intake anymore, but maybe I should start. I do however follow the tips and tricks in "The Lickety-Split Diabetic Cookbook" This is a really good book to read when you want to lose weight. I'm not a diabetic but I do have problems with low blood sugar and diabetes runs in my family, so I worry that I'm heading for it if I don't get my weight under control. The book is half recipes, and half guide to healthier lifestyle and eating. She's got great tips on portion sizes, how to get started with an exercise program, and how to get extra fiber and fruits and vegetables in your diet. The author is a registered dietician, so she knows what she's talking about, but the book doesn't read like a cookbook or weight loss manual to me. It's kind of like a pep talk on every page. LOL. The recipes are really yummy and she gives great suggestions on what to serve with each recipe to keep it balanced and healthy. I still prepare A LOT of the menus from the book. The whole family enjoys them. You don't have to buy any expensive or specialty foods to follow them. I followed this "program" for 2 months along with a lot of exercise and lost 40#s but when we went on vacation last summer I kind of got away from the exercise part of it.

That sounds like a great book! Last night I spent hours combing through Eat This Not That's website. It was so eye opening! I could not believe what the nutritional content was in so many different foods. Really shocked me.

I too worry that I might develop diabetes if I do not lose this weight. I have so much to lose but if I don't do it I could really be in trouble, healthwise.

Missy
I am going to go get me something to eat and then do some weight lifting.

AGCE 08-01-2010 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by thequilteddove
Ok, I'm officially going to join this challenge! I've been lurking for a long time, but it's way over due that I get my eating habits under control!

As of 1Aug2010: 193.8

As a form of incentive, I'm going to post my stats every Sunday. I am recording my food & exercise using this free website. http://www.livestrong.com/ I hope this will help me to stay honest w/myself.

What programs do you all use to help follow your progress with? If there's a better free program out there, I'd switch over :)

I like Sparkpeople. It's full of great advice, you can keep track of you food, exercise and strength training.

seabolt22 08-01-2010 09:49 AM

I lost 30 pounds in 2 months. Really hard..
August 1 weighed 212. Pray that I will continue.

Cheriefaye2008 08-01-2010 09:49 AM

Missygirl, could you send me the link to the website? I always look at the books and want to buy them but my budget won't allow it. Didn't know they had a website.

MissyGirl 08-01-2010 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by AGCE

Originally Posted by thequilteddove
Ok, I'm officially going to join this challenge! I've been lurking for a long time, but it's way over due that I get my eating habits under control!

As of 1Aug2010: 193.8

As a form of incentive, I'm going to post my stats every Sunday. I am recording my food & exercise using this free website. http://www.livestrong.com/ I hope this will help me to stay honest w/myself.

What programs do you all use to help follow your progress with? If there's a better free program out there, I'd switch over :)

I like Sparkpeople. It's full of great advice, you can keep track of you food, exercise and strength training.

I am going to have to check that website too! Thanks for the great ideas guys. You are the best. Or as my nephew says, "You rock the Casbaugh!"

Missy

MissyGirl 08-01-2010 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by seabolt22
I lost 30 pounds in 2 months. Really hard..
August 1 weighed 212. Pray that I will continue.

Way to go on the 30 pounds!! I am cheering you on for another big loss!

Missy

MissyGirl 08-01-2010 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Cheriefaye2008
Missygirl, could you send me the link to the website? I always look at the books and want to buy them but my budget won't allow it. Didn't know they had a website.

Here you go:

http://eatthis.menshealth.com/home

Missy