Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   weight loss challenge.......with a prize June sign up (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/weight-loss-challenge-prize-june-sign-up-t47611.html)

CAROLJ 06-11-2010 03:58 PM

The problem for me is once I eat something such as dip or pudding I don't stop. I guess I'm like an alcoholic, one is to many and a thousand isn't enough. I had lost weight a while back when I ate some peanut MMs and next thing I was back on the junk food circuit and gained all my wieght back. I am glad for those that can eat sugar free or reduced fat, but it doesn't work for me.

MissyGirl 06-11-2010 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by CAROLJ
The problem for me is once I eat something such as dip or pudding I don't stop. I guess I'm like an alcoholic, one is to many and a thousand isn't enough. I had lost weight a while back when I ate some peanut MMs and next hing I was back on the junk food circuit and gained all my wieght back. I am glad for those that can eat sugar free or reduced fat, but it doesn't work for me.

The same approach to weight loss does not always work for everyone. Hang in there.

Missy

trupeach1 06-12-2010 06:12 AM

The problem for me is once I eat something such as dip or pudding I don't stop. I guess I'm like an alcoholic, one is to many and a thousand isn't enough. I had lost weight a while back when I ate some peanut MMs and next thing I was back on the junk food circuit and gained all my wieght back. I am glad for those that can eat sugar free or reduced fat, but it doesn't work for me.

I hate suger free and reduced fat I would rather eat a little of something full fat and with sugar or not eat it at all. I am the same once I start to eat something like pudding or dip I can't stop. If it is in the house I have to eat it. This is why it has been so hard for me. DD went down to 80lb after her injury and now that she is able to eat I cook/bake whatever and what ever she wants. Last week at 1am she wanted cookies so on went the oven and cookies she had. Thank God she has gained weight since Feb and is up to 110, a nice weight for her. But how could anyone resist all the good smells and not eat??????? Today I didn't have what DD had for breakfast. DD wanted a bagel and cream cheese and I resisted I had puffed rice cereal 30 calories with blueberries. But man did that bagel look and smell soooooooo good. :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Quilt4u 06-12-2010 06:18 AM

OK this is the third week I have not lost any thing. I know I have just been told that I have an inactive thyroid And I hardy eat any thing because when I do I get terrible Heartburn And a stomach ace. The good news is that I have not gained.

MissyGirl 06-12-2010 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by trupeach1

I hate suger free and reduced fat I would rather eat a little of something full fat and with sugar or not eat it at all. I am the same once I start to eat something like pudding or dip I can't stop. If it is in the house I have to eat it. This is why it has been so hard for me. DD went down to 80lb after her injury and now that she is able to eat I cook/bake whatever and what ever she wants. Last week at 1am she wanted cookies so on went the oven and cookies she had. Thank God she has gained weight since Feb and is up to 110, a nice weight for her. But how could anyone resist all the good smells and not eat??????? Today I didn't have what DD had for breakfast. DD wanted a bagel and cream cheese and I resisted I had puffed rice cereal 30 calories with blueberries. But man did that bagel look and smell soooooooo good. :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Oh I understand the bagel thing! But unfortunately the serving size of a bagel is 1/4 of the bagel. Ugh. So, why bother is what I think. I hate that the good stuff is so bad for us.

Missy

MissyGirl 06-12-2010 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt4u
OK this is the third week I have not lost any thing. I know I have just been told that I have an inactive thyroid And I hardy eat any thing because when I do I get terrible Heartburn And a stomach ace. The good news is that I have not gained.

Are you having to take meds for the thyroid problem?

Yeah, for sure, it is better to have lost nothing and to have not gained any versus gaining weight. I really wish you the best in your pursuit to get your thyroid under control.

Missy

Quilt4u 06-12-2010 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by MissyGirl

Yeah, for sure, it is better to have lost nothing and to have not gained any versus gaining weight. I really wish you the best in your pursuit to get your thyroid under control.
Yes I just started it last month.

Missy

MissyGirl 06-12-2010 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by MissyGirl

Yes I just started it last month.

Missy

I am glad you have started thyroid meds. Maybe you will be able to start losing weight soon. I do not know much about thyroid issues. I wish I could be a better support to you.

Missy

Quilt4u 06-12-2010 09:46 AM

Thanks. You are by just you being here.

Grandma12 06-12-2010 04:26 PM

Count me in....beginning weight was a whopping 305.8 the end of March...I know you said June 1st.
I will have to look in my medical chart at next appointment to see what it was then...and I have that in my medical file at doctor's office.

Is it fair to admit that suddenly I became diabetic?
Knew it was possible, but sure was NOT ready.

Got this way after I became disabled, so less active, plus the meds all had statements that read "stay out of direct sunlight, may loose hair, may gain weight, may cause insomnia, may cause drowsiness, do not drive or operate machinery."

Dietitian and Nutritionist both asked the same dumb question.
Ready?

"What is your goal weight?"

Answer...."anything less than this is an improvement...and the amount I really need to loose is too overwhelming to even think about for now. So how about I just tell you that I would really like to be able to fit in normal size cloths. Not just inherit the cloths of now deceased friends my own size..."

So in case anyone can't relate to 305.8...at 5' 4.5"
that's a Queenly size 6X.

How is my self esteem? Not bad considering.
I cry, alot, especially when family comes over for BBQ, and there is not one thing I can still have.

They took me out to an all you can eat restaurant for my birthday..."Golden Coral".
Guess what they paid the big bucks for me to have?

A salad and ice water.

I think my low point was when I could not lift my arms up anymore to brush out and braid my own hair...which was sit upon length. With all the strength I could muster, I raised hand, gripped hair at base of neck, took sharpest dressmaker shears and just whacked at it till it was in my hand.

Not one to waste anything...I even piece bits to become 1.5" for little pieces, seriously...I am sending my lobbed off hair to "Locks of Love" so at least some poor child who has lost her locks to cancer, can make good use of it.

TMI ? Just the way life is for now.
Hey, looking on the bright side of life, doctors told my family I would be dead by my next birthday...we proved they were liars, when I turned the next big number the end of April.
So still alive, not strong enough to really kick just yet, but with PT coming every week, I am getting there. LOL

So you all can just start shopping for MY new FQ's...
can't sneak one bite of regular food.
To quit this diet because it is just too hard, or too boring, is to die.
Now insulin dependent, with list of allergies out the door.

Current diet:
salad twice a day, yogurt or cottage cheese for breakfast and lots of water...

Could I add one item?
I would take an obese eighth or even just bridal scraps, if instead of fabric for my stash, I could have some of those old fashioned hair combs to hold bangs back...yard sale, second hand, thrift store...family has been shopping all over, and all they can find are the new style with two combs and elastic and beads, too hard to put in my hair myself, and too heavy to stay.

You can always just stick to the plan and send fabric.
But one never gets what one truly wants, if you remain silent.

I love this challenge.
Full of confidence.