Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   weight loss challenge.......with a prize June sign up (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/weight-loss-challenge-prize-june-sign-up-t47611.html)

Grandma12 06-12-2010 04:41 PM

Happy Celery?

Did you know that celery is "rich" in natural salts, so "helps you" retain fluid?

Now antidote for salt, is lemon juice.
So if to your ice water you add a touch of good old fashioned lemon juice, it will help you shed the excess water, plus helps to detox liver too.

Think of it as sipping lemonade, and the little old lady who made it, and served it, "forgot" the sugar, and you just can not bear the idea of hurting her dear heart by NOT drinking it after you saw her hand squeeze those lemons she picked from her very own lemon tree, while you watched...

easy does it, don't want to go overboard and dehydrate in the summer heat.

:-)

besides, don't you usually want to add something to the celery, like peanut butter (high salt & high fat) or cream cheese, or chip dip?

For a bit of sweet, substitute carrot sticks, and for cool damp guilt free, add cucumber slices, and little tomatoes.

One cucumber has 32 calories and 5.5 carbs for the average size WHOLE cucumber...

One average size Romano Tomato has 27 calories and 5 carbs.

MissyGirl 06-12-2010 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Grandma12
Count me in....beginning weight was a whopping 305.8 the end of March...I know you said June 1st.
I will have to look in my medical chart at next appointment to see what it was then...and I have that in my medical file at doctor's office.

Is it fair to admit that suddenly I became diabetic?
Knew it was possible, but sure was NOT ready.

Got this way after I became disabled, so less active, plus the meds all had statements that read "stay out of direct sunlight, may loose hair, may gain weight, may cause insomnia, may cause drowsiness, do not drive or operate machinery."

Dietitian and Nutritionist both asked the same dumb question.
Ready?

"What is your goal weight?"

Answer...."anything less than this is an improvement...and the amount I really need to loose is too overwhelming to even think about for now. So how about I just tell you that I would really like to be able to fit in normal size cloths. Not just inherit the cloths of now deceased friends my own size..."

So in case anyone can't relate to 305.8...at 5' 4.5"
that's a Queenly size 6X.

How is my self esteem? Not bad considering.
I cry, alot, especially when family comes over for BBQ, and there is not one thing I can still have.

They took me out to an all you can eat restaurant for my birthday..."Golden Coral".
Guess what they paid the big bucks for me to have?

A salad and ice water.

I think my low point was when I could not lift my arms up anymore to brush out and braid my own hair...which was sit upon length. With all the strength I could muster, I raised hand, gripped hair at base of neck, took sharpest dressmaker shears and just whacked at it till it was in my hand.

Not one to waste anything...I even piece bits to become 1.5" for little pieces, seriously...I am sending my lobbed off hair to "Locks of Love" so at least some poor child who has lost her locks to cancer, can make good use of it.

TMI ? Just the way life is for now.
Hey, looking on the bright side of life, doctors told my family I would be dead by my next birthday...we proved they were liars, when I turned the next big number the end of April.
So still alive, not strong enough to really kick just yet, but with PT coming every week, I am getting there. LOL

So you all can just start shopping for MY new FQ's...
can't sneak one bite of regular food.
To quit this diet because it is just too hard, or too boring, is to die.
Now insulin dependent, with list of allergies out the door.

Current diet:
salad twice a day, yogurt or cottage cheese for breakfast and lots of water...

Could I add one item?
I would take an obese eighth or even just bridal scraps, if instead of fabric for my stash, I could have some of those old fashioned hair combs to hold bangs back...yard sale, second hand, thrift store...family has been shopping all over, and all they can find are the new style with two combs and elastic and beads, too hard to put in my hair myself, and too heavy to stay.

You can always just stick to the plan and send fabric.
But one never gets what one truly wants, if you remain silent.

I love this challenge.
Full of confidence.

Well, for me, I weighed 443.0 on June 1st. I have lost 5.2 pounds as of last Monday. This coming Monday I weigh in at the hospital again. So we shall see.

I can really relate to you and your struggles but you have to remember too that you need protein to repair your cells and muscles. That is very important.

Here is what I ate for dinner:

6 oz filet of salmon, steamed
2 tbsp honey (that I squeezed on top of the salmon filet)
1 sliced yellow squash, steamed with the fish
2 1/2" slices of french bread, toasted with 1 tsp margarine
Iced tea and water

It was yummy and was full of protein and other good stuff.

When I order sub sandwiches for my family, I order mine without the bread and with triple the veggies. I then cut it up into small pieces and top with my favorite lo cal and low fat dressing for a BIG salad with 4 oz meat in it. Also very good source of protein and lots of other good stuff.

Snacks are grapes, frozen or regular depending on how hot I am. There are 17 grapes in a serving. So one baggie does me good.

There are tons of other combos of food that we can make that will satisfy the hunger yet still be very good for us.

I am really hoping you win this contest cause I know it would make you very happy. I would like to win too but I would be very7 happy for you if you won!

Missy

CAROLJ 06-12-2010 05:21 PM

Grandma, Missy you're both winners in my eyes. Carol

MissyGirl 06-12-2010 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by CAROLJ
Grandma, Missy you're both winners in my eyes. Carol

Thank you Carol! That was so sweet.

Missy

Grandma12 06-12-2010 05:49 PM

So I think maybe some of you are ready for my recipe...
but you need to remember it is the taste we miss that counts...
ever eaten with your eyes closed?

1/4 cup either Rice Crispy cereal or Grape Nuts
1/4 cup sugar free, chunky applesauce
1/4 cup fat free, small curd cottage cheese
1/4 tsp cinnamon or apple pie spice
1 pkg artificial sweetener

This fits nicely into a lovely coffee mug.
I do not recommend china tea cup, as you heat it in container
Treat yourself as if eating at 5 star ...make it a pretty one.
Don't have a really pretty special one yet?
Great solution...thrift stores sell odd stuff that does not have a mate. So while you are there shopping for special mug, add one silver spoon, or splurge and see if you can find spoon, fork, knife set. And one lovely place mat while you are at it...

Remember mind set...5 STAR, VIP
What we see does count towards ambiance', right?
So if contents do not look desirable, make container and place setting extra nice.

Stir until each bite gets you some of everything...
Now place in microwave or broiler/toaster oven

Heat until the cheese is melted.
Microwaves cook by watts, so time varies.

Close your eyes and after it has cooled, enjoy the taste of German Dutch Apple Pie!

Can be used for breakfast, or as a replacement desert if you can fit it into your diet/calories or food pyramid.

165 Calories, 35 Carbs for the higher Grape Nuts version.
The Rice Crispies has less calories, less carbs.

If we do not get sufficient carbs, my traditionalist says body will rob what it needs from Heart muscle.

I drink a cup of hot coffee with sugar free flavored creamer along with it, just like I would eat pie with a cup of coffee when out at a restaurant.

Looks like something you would throw out, but the taste is very satisfying IF you like Dutch Apple Pie.

I have not yet tried to substitute frozen plain sugar free blueberries, or strawberries or even peaches yet.

But imagine the possibilities.

MissyGirl 06-12-2010 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Grandma12
So I think maybe some of you are ready for my recipe...
but you need to remember it is the taste we miss that counts...
ever eaten with your eyes closed?

1/4 cup either Rice Crispy cereal or Grape Nuts
1/4 cup sugar free, chunky applesauce
1/4 cup fat free, small curd cottage cheese
1/4 tsp cinnamon or apple pie spice
1 pkg artificial sweetener

This fits nicely into a lovely coffee mug.
I do not recommend china tea cup, as you heat it in container
Treat yourself as if eating at 5 star ...make it a pretty one.
Don't have a really pretty special one yet?
Great solution...thrift stores sell odd stuff that does not have a mate. So while you are there shopping for special mug, add one silver spoon, or splurge and see if you can find spoon, fork, knife set. And one lovely place mat while you are at it...

Remember mind set...5 STAR, VIP
What we see does count towards ambiance', right?
So if contents do not look desirable, make container and place setting extra nice.

Stir until each bite gets you some of everything...
Now place in microwave or broiler/toaster oven

Heat until the cheese is melted.
Microwaves cook by watts, so time varies.

Close your eyes and after it has cooled, enjoy the taste of German Dutch Apple Pie!

Can be used for breakfast, or as a replacement desert if you can fit it into your diet/calories or food pyramid.

165 Calories, 35 Carbs for the higher Grape Nuts version.
The Rice Crispies has less calories, less carbs.

If we do not get sufficient carbs, my traditionalist says body will rob what it needs from Heart muscle.

I drink a cup of hot coffee with sugar free flavored creamer along with it, just like I would eat pie with a cup of coffee when out at a restaurant.

Looks like something you would throw out, but the taste is very satisfying IF you like Dutch Apple Pie.

I have not yet tried to substitute frozen plain sugar free blueberries, or strawberries or even peaches yet.

But imagine the possibilities.

YUMM-O!!! I am going to try this!

Sounds so good!

Missy

trupeach1 06-12-2010 06:49 PM

Hi Grandma12 so happy you are joining in this thread. Sign up for July will start around June 25 so I hope you will join it the fun for the July weight loss challenge with a prize.

Gwyn 06-12-2010 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Quilt4u
Thanks. You are by just you being here.

I really hope you are on medication for your thyroid. You will begin to feel much better, but it isn't a magic weight loss thing. You will feel less tired and run down which can translate into a little walking or playing in the yard with the kids. One day, the scales will surprise you with lower numbers.

Personally, the numbers don't matter as long as I can wear a size 12. That is a long way from the 4X I put on today.

trupeach1 06-13-2010 09:25 AM

I made pasta salad this morning. A little pasta LOADS of fresh veggies with light italian dressing. Grilled chicken breast from dinner tonight. I am making extra so I can have grilled chicken for lunch this week. I will start my diet fresh and new tomorrow.............

I will be good, I will be good, I will be good.

MissyGirl 06-13-2010 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
I made pasta salad this morning. A little pasta LOADS of fresh veggies with light italian dressing. Grilled chicken breast from dinner tonight. I am making extra so I can have grilled chicken for lunch this week. I will start my diet fresh and new tomorrow.............

I will be good, I will be good, I will be good.

Sounds so yummy! I love pasta salad especially with the chicken. I bought and tried a sundried tomato vinegarette the other day and it was amazing. low in calories and low in fat. I am going to buy some more and add some of the sundried tomatoes I already have.

I am not sure what I am going to cook today. I am getting hungry now so I will need to make something.

As per my usual, I am getting nervous about weighing in tomorrow. I hope that I have lost just one pound so if I have lost more I am thrilled but if I gained then I feel so bad. I have been exercising quite a bit and so I know I am losing inches but hopefully it will translate into pounds tomorrow. Sigh.

I really hope everyone is doing good today. It is very cool outside (only 54 degrees) so maybe I will take a walk outside. We shall see.

What are you all doing for exercise?

Are any of you doing special things to accommodate your diet?

I would love to see some of the recipes you are all making.

Take care and I hope everyone is on the losing track.

Missy