Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   what do you like/not like about where you live (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-do-you-like-not-like-about-where-you-live-t118566.html)

katesnanna 04-24-2011 06:27 PM

Hi from downunder (Australia) best place in the world to us.. Was born & bred in Queensland which is referred to as God's country. Have lived in most states and been to all except Tasmania as DH was in Air Force.
Happily retired now and back in Queensland. As some others said, no place like home.

Learned that any place is what you make of it.

Radiana 04-24-2011 06:30 PM

Born and raised in San Jose Ca. Used to like it here but the city has turned in to a dump. There's trash all over the sides of the expressways not to mention the city is filled with punks and their boom cars. Live with that noise all day and night. Lot's of gangs. Our city council has run the city into bankruptsy (sp). I don't care for the general population of people not friendly at all.

The weather is pretty nice and it's pretty centrally located so you can get away to nicer places in just an hour or two.

sharoney 04-24-2011 06:34 PM

Born in New Mexico, have spent the last 40 years in Texas. I've lived in Houston and West Texas, but I love the coast! I know it's hot and humid, and alot of people complain about that, but when it's cold and snowy in lots of other places, it's warm here. We've already got peppers from the garden- had some for supper tonight! The tomatoes will be ripe in a couple of weeks. There is always a breeze here to help cool things off. I don't think I could live very far north of here.

MZStitch 04-24-2011 06:35 PM

Raised in Connecticut, loved the country feel except the smell from the farm in the summer (Isn't it funny that I remember that so vividly).
Moved to California when I married, loved SanFrancisco, hated traffic on the highways!
Moved to New Hampshire, loved the fall colors, hated the cold winters and overall gloominess.
Now in South Carolina, love, love, love the. sunshine and the people. Been here 5 years now, it has to be the weather that makes the people here so darn happy.

4EVERquilt 04-24-2011 06:39 PM

I like Colorado, the mountains, how green it is and the changing of seasons. What I don't like is that is that I cannot find restaurants that serve the best green chili I am used to, grew up in Albuq. N.M. so, my excuse to go back there is to visit my family and friends houses, and eat all the green chili they have in their freezer, oh ya, and red chili!!

jillnjo 04-24-2011 06:40 PM

Lived in northern Indiana all my life,so it's home to me.I really love the changing of seasons,would miss it a lot. It's green and beautiful here in warm weather.The one thing I truly dislike is the cloudy weather we often get from the great lakes-can get depressing sometimes.Neighbors are friendly and helpful,people look you in the eye when your in town.This America is wonderful,isn't it?

Melody 04-24-2011 06:42 PM

Well, my DH and I both were born and lived all our lives here in the flatlands of North West Ohio, on a farm, which we have loved. But DH's family are all in southern Alabama, so the south is home too. I am not very good in hot humid weather, but darn, the older I get the less I like the snow and frigid temps. We are retired, but not from farming... someday-- sigh-- Maybe the Carolinas would be a good choice?

Melody

Ramona Byrd 04-24-2011 07:10 PM

Born and raised into my teens in lovely, green and hilly Milton, WV. Loved the green hills and late even/early morning blue mist,
hated the wet snow. Seems that I was kin to most of the town.
Now live in central California, more or less like the weather, hate the way even the best neighborhoods are becoming violent and hearing sirens every day. And now our glorious leaders are firing 30 cops at once.......

bluteddi 04-24-2011 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by emerald46
I love everything about Texas. We've been fortunate and travel quite a bit worldwide. Love, love lots of places we have been; but there is no place like Texas (heat and all!).

*AMEN*!!

Lisanne 04-24-2011 08:07 PM

I've been working in Southern California for about a year now, so I'll write about that. (It's temporary, and although I initially considered moving out here, I'm dying to be back on the East Coast, where there are real seasons and weather, too!)

What I Like
It's warm year-round (when the locals complain of the cold, it's because the temperature went down from 72 to 68 degrees), and rarely humid.

It's beautiful, no denying it. But I'm realizing that a lot of the beauty is man-made landscaping, and I'm longing for some real nature.

Better music on the radio stations than at home.

The ocean is here, and it's nice, but I'm not much of a beach person. The mountains are awesome, though.

Drivers are nicer here. They actually slow down to let you change lanes, which has been very hard for me to get used to, as at home, I signal, then wait for them to pass before moving into another lane.

More seafood restaurants (as opposed to none at home, and the few there that have any fish only have the wretched tilapia and mahi mahi these days).

Better burgers. They aren't required by state law to cook it until it's hard and flavorless, and they don't use those yucky buns with the corn crumb thingies on the bottom.

El Pollo Loco! LOL, I love this fast-food restaurant. Love their orange marinated rotisserie chicken, their soup, their soooo-fresh tacos and the new sweet potato fries!

And the #1 thing is that I have a job here (for a while, anyway)

What I Don't Like

No noticeable change of seasons. It about killed me to miss the snowy winter everyone else got this year. And I only got to experience the well-being that spring brings during the last day I was home in March.

Very little weather other than sunny and warm. Not even a good downpour or thunderstorm once in a while!

Palm trees are nice, but I prefer lots of leafy trees and ivy vines.

I'm in Orange County. It's endless 21st century suburb here. The buildings are impressive from the outsides, but it's all planned, and all houses set right up close to one another. No natural character, IMO.

PRICES! Clothes and such are the same, but groceries are ridiculous. $3.99 for a small jar of mayo, for example. Then they tax clothes and sales tax here is 10%. Rent is steep for very ordinary apartments (with terrific landscaping, but still), about $1500 on average for a 1 bedroom. Not to mention real estate costs...

I miss home.