Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What food(s) got you in trouble as a kid? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-food-s-got-you-trouble-kid-t40751.html)

yourstrulyquilts 03-26-2010 12:05 PM

[quote]Yikes, this thread has brought up some bad memories.]/quote

Didn't mean to bring up bad memories. We all have gone through it, with one or ten foods, most of which we cannot eat even today. I have found, tho, that cooked differently, some are very good. I like peas, now, but I grow them myself and freeze them and cook them just a little, not to death! Same with cabbage. I like it "fried". Small bacon bits and stir fry the chopped cabbage until just barely cooked. Even my kids liked that one.
I think people cooked food to death back then, because not everyone had refrigerators to keep stuff from spoiling. When I was little, we had a "cooler", a pantry on the North side of the house. I never remember having spoiled milk, but a quarter in a gallon will keep it from spoiling. And....we had fresh milk,straight from the cow to the table.
YTQ

watterstide 03-26-2010 12:44 PM

eeewwwwww fresh milk..now that gives me shudders! grandma had a milk man, she loved the friggin cream on top, looked like spoiled milk! we hated seeing that on our cornflakes!

retired teacher 03-26-2010 12:49 PM

I hate it when adults try to force kids to eat. As a teacher I showed more than one child how to hide what they hated it their milk carton.

yourstrulyquilts 03-26-2010 12:53 PM

I think forcing children to eat what they hate can cause eating disorders in young teens, and on into adult life.

retired teacher 03-26-2010 01:18 PM

You are so right. I think it is just plain cruel!

MadQuilter 03-26-2010 02:01 PM

One time, my mom made cream of asparagus soup. I told her I couldn't eat it. I NEVER said that before to ANY crappy thing the woman set in front of me. So she had to pull the power play. I sat in front of the soup while everyone else had the full dinner.
When the family had Sunday afternoon cake, I got reheated soup. When the family had supper - you guessed it, reheated soup. I finally gave in, ate the soup and promptly projectile vomited through the entire house. Served her right!

Jim's Gem 03-26-2010 02:48 PM

Liver!! GAG!!!!!!!

craftybear 03-26-2010 03:33 PM

smell of liver and onions made me sick

Lisanne 03-26-2010 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by retired teacher
I hate it when adults try to force kids to eat. As a teacher I showed more than one child how to hide what they hated it their milk carton.

I'm with you on this, except when a kid refuses ALL vegetables and ALL fruits. Or everything except junk food. Sure, parents should try different things, but you also have to make sure the kid gets nourished, and with regular food, not supplemental shakes and things.

As for liver, lol, I liked it just fine - when my mom made it. I tried making it once myself and couldn't tell whether I'd made it wrong or just didn't like it any more, but a friend who loved liver & onions ate all four portions that I cooked, so I guess I did it right. (Some guys will eat anything.)

Happily, I never got forced to eat peas, because my mother didn't like them, either.

retired teacher 03-26-2010 03:57 PM

Lisaanne. I stand corrected. As a teacher I didn't like the lunchroom monitors who would not let gets go until they had tried everything served them. When I was cooking for my children I made sure they got enough of the good stuff before they were allowed limited desserts or treats. I liked liver too. My Mom sure was a great cook1