Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What a scam!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-scam-t299889.html)

madamekelly 09-30-2018 11:46 AM

The scammers who say they are from Microsoft, and tell me my computer is infected by a virus crack me up. I love to mess with them. When they tell me they have a warning that my computer will crash unless I send them money, I just tell them to let it crash since it is obviously a rogue computer that has snuck I to my home. I have all Apple products, so their warning is hilarious. I love to waste as much of their time as they will allow. I hate scammers!

Jingle 09-30-2018 07:05 PM

Bill Gates has nothing to do with this stuff, nor does Microsoft.

I got a call from India speaking guy in broken English. He told me my computer license was about to expire. I don't him I don't have a computer, he asked me three times and I told him no. He was gobsmacked and I am sure he didn't believe me but, he hung up anyway. No more stupid calls. Almost always I let the answer machine take the calls.

The other day a teller marketer called three times in one day. Next morning at 7:45 they called and dinged a really loud bell. When we didn't answer they called right back and did the same thing. I guess they thought we were asleep. No, we are early risers.

quilterpurpledog 10-01-2018 03:26 AM

All of this is a sad story about the deviousness of all too many people. We get half a dozen of these calls a day. Mostly, we just don't pick up!

SusieQOH 10-01-2018 05:11 AM

If I'm in a silly mood I pick up and don't say anything. In a few seconds I hear a click and they are gone. Mostly though, I just don't answer.

carolynjo 10-01-2018 05:21 AM

I let the caller just continue talking after I have laid the phone down. I figure they can talk on their own dime and talking to the "air" keeps someone else from being harassed.

nwm50 10-01-2018 06:00 AM

I have answered once or twice after seeing a # I don't recognize as " fraud dept... how may I direct your call?"
They hang up quick!

Onebyone 10-01-2018 06:12 AM

Can you imagine a child realizing a parent's job is to scam people? Most will then think it's okay and the cycle continues.

Cactus Stitchin 10-01-2018 06:17 AM

We regularly get all of the calls above and typically don’t answer the phone if we don’t recognize the number. Last week my husband was feeling ornery after receiving a message that he had nine warrants out for his arrest so he called them back and asked for the warrant number, where they were issued, how long until the officers would come arrest him, and which police department would be executing the warrant, etc. At the end he told them he was the county sheriff and was still waiting to be notified of the warrants but he’d be sure to ‘get right on it’ when he received notification. They hung up and so far haven’t called back on that number.

shasta5718 10-01-2018 07:15 AM

I have had the screen lock up and they said If I didn't call I couldn't use the computer. I just turned it off and rebooted. Works fine.

Chasing Hawk 10-01-2018 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 8135757)
Bill Gates has nothing to do with this stuff, nor does Microsoft.

I was being sarcastic. Can you imagine if the CEO of companies called asking for money? They would sit in their corner office on the top floor with a lovely panoramic view and constantly dialing the phone.