Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What a scam!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-scam-t299889.html)

Chasing Hawk 10-04-2018 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts (Post 8137003)
Well I may have a gold mine on my hands - a phone number that seems to be immune from telemarketing calls. I have had it for a year and a half (tracfone) and after a few calls the first month, that I did not answer, NOTHING.

Who would like to start the bidding at $500?

My husband and I have "won" enough cruises, free campground stays, hotel rooms to last a lifetime.

We are still waiting the Nigerian Prince to transfer funds to us......lol

Oh! and the FBI says it has "secret funds" they found in some "obscure audit", we are awaiting those also......LOL

SusieQOH 10-04-2018 11:19 AM

Chasing Hawk, isn't it sad that we don't go on all those free trips we won? :D

Chasing Hawk 10-04-2018 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH (Post 8137709)
Chasing Hawk, isn't it sad that we don't go on all those free trips we won? :D

It is! Time isn't the issue, it's all the fine print that is spendy. :D

Sherryquilts 10-08-2018 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by nwm50 (Post 8135922)
I have answered once or twice after seeing a # I don't recognize as " fraud dept... how may I direct your call?"
They hang up quick!

I've done this a couple of times, when I figure it is a robo call - it makes for a real short conversation...

Cactus Stitchin 10-08-2018 06:14 AM

Our local TV channel is pretty good about warning about scam calls that are being received in the area. A recent one was that you are asked a question up front that you will likely answer ‘yes’ to. Then they enroll you in some type of monthly purchase program that you don’t want. When you file a complaint they us the edited ‘yes’ to make it sound as if you agreed to the program making it difficult to cancel or prove fraud.

mac 10-08-2018 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Sherryquilts (Post 8139851)
I've done this a couple of times, when I figure it is a robo call - it makes for a real short conversation...

This is way too funny. I am going to try this next time I get one of those weird beeps. I don't have caller ID, but I know the minute I get a caller that doesn't answer right away and then get a beep and then someone answers the call, it is going to be spam caller.

mac 10-08-2018 09:41 AM

CactusS, I have heard of this type of spam caller. However, I have tried not to answer anything with a "yes", unfortunately, I think that I must have a habit of doing this because I have caught myself saying it. Each time I catch myself I just pray it is not one of those calls that you are talking about.

nativetexan 10-08-2018 10:27 AM

who would know if it was your Yes that was recorded or not. they could just as easily do that themselves. but I too tell myself not to ever say yes. Still it does make me wonder. If i have really insistent caller, i then worry about them also knowing where i live. so with that, i never would blow a whistle in their ear. I hardly answer a call with an unknown number now so no worries.

Iceblossom 10-08-2018 11:12 AM

I still have a land line and use Nomorobo to great success on that, free service we got on the internet years ago. We screen our calls and don't answer numbers we don't recognize. With Nomo a live person has to press a button to put the call through, so most calls ring once and then go away. The caller name also flashes on our tv as well as on the handset. If they get through I report the numbers.

FYI -- don't ever call them back or bother to ask to be removed from their service. Chances are that is a random dialing program (no list) and being removed from their service doesn't prevent them from selling your number to another company (often under the same roof) as a live number.

My cell phone though... I get more fake calls and calls for the previous owner (I've had this number for 3-5 years now...) than I do for myself and Nomo is a pay service for cell phones. Didn't they used to have an option to ignore particular numbers with a button push?? I guess it's enough of a problem that they have the pay services and the cell companies don't want to deal with them. Anyway, I never offer up my cell number to businesses in any way, so no, I didn't enter your contest so I couldn't have won whatever it is.

grannie cheechee 10-08-2018 12:51 PM

I get the my computer has been hacked by so and so. I need to get on my computer so they can take care of the hacker. I told him my computer was in the repair shop. Then he wanted to know when I would be getting it back. I told him when the repair guy got rid of the hackers like him.
The other call that I get is we have been monitoring your credit cards for 6 mos, and we can help you. Then they ask you which credit cards you have. I told them, if you've been monitoring them you must know which ones I have. I'm like Chasing Hawk, No credit cards.